Agnostic.com

40 4

How do you handle religious strangers in public?

OK Atheists! I have a problem and need your help!

I live in SC and I have cashiers telling me all the time to, "Have a Blessed Day!" (It's spookie, I know!) I need to have a good comeback ready for them... What do you say when this happens to you?

Also, do you have a retort to, "Merry Christmas"? I don't really want to do battle on that one... in fact, I do get into the Xmas spirit and even decorate my house. (I like Santa, but no religious artifacts.) Shame on me! But seriously folks, I am curious about how y'all handle yourselves in public with the religiously inclined.

Thanks Guys and Gals! (Merry F'n Xmas! ha, ha)

Big Al

Alw314 5 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just blow it off. In case they are hostile religious fools, they think god is only way through life. I stopped beleiving in last February and I'm fine. It's all just a state of mind. If you feel frisky, tell them "enjoy your fairy tales".

Carefully

Trod Level 5 Dec 13, 2018

I try my best to ignore them and at the same time do it respectfully.

To me Christmas is a holiday, and people should enjoy holidays, so why not "Merry Christmas!" I am quite happy with that.

As for "Have a Blessed Day!" — no one says that in these parts. (At least I haven't heard it.) But if I did hear it, I'd probably smile and say something like "Have a good one!".

Merry Christmas? Christmas is a Trojan horse. About a white guy. Adults tricking children. Then admitting they LIED. Only to LIE again. About another white guy. But this time it's the "truth" oh yah, by all means; Merry Christmas!

I live in middle of the tribble people but i try to be quiet and nice meanwhile in public as i can try to discuss about that and most of the time i fail to convince them lol.but i think it makes them wondering about facts about nature about everything i just try to think and ask instead of arguing when i see our talk going to be complicated and we are going to have a fight i just leave it and say to myself he believe that and i can't make it right just leave it and give them time to think thats the way i behave maybe its useful to you tell me about that thanks

I am annoyed, but I try to ignore it. It would take too long to explain why I'm offended and they wouldn't understand it anyway.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

Thanks! You have a nice day too...

Here's a 100% fix but it does require prep work.

Keep an Alka Seltzer tablet in your pocket. When meeting religious strangers... Pop the tablet in your mouth, take a drink of water and then bite down on the tablet... When the foaming of the mouth starts... Tell them you are an Atheist!

Ha, ha, ha! How's that working for you???

Thanks for the virtual image!!! I love it!

Big Al

RR, I suppose you kill babies just for fun too!!! Ha, ha! OMG... you are too much! (and I crack myself up!)

@Alw314 I never said I did it or that it worked for me. I just assume that it works.

Also... I have never killed a baby though I have tied misbehaving children to trees before. THAT works great though usually the mere threat is enough.

Merry Christmas I let slide. It's their holiday. But " Have a Blessed Day " is proselytizing. Proselytizing which the speaker presumes will go unchallenged because no one shall dare question the existence of the Almighty who is both able and willing to do the blessing. So, from now on, when the woman at Comcast or AT&T or whomever wherever says in closing, " Have a Blessed Day ", I'm going to respond, "And you have a damn good one !" Who amongst you shall join me ? Have a damn good day !

Steve -

You are so right!

"Have a Blessed Day" IS PROSELYTIZING, whether the person saying it realizes it or not!

I try not to let it go unchallenged. Why? I think it is important that we enlightened ones, not let the religious have their neurosis and continue to spread the lie.

Imagine if instead of "Have a Blessed Day" they would say something like, "Elvis is alive!" or "Prayer really works!" or "Ghosts are Real" and expect you to repeat it. No. I won't do it! I won't play their game!

Elvis is NOT alive.... Prayer does not work.. Ghosts are not real, and you can't improve someone's day by blessing it.

Steve I know YOU don't think I am extreme, but apparently a LOT of other people on this web site do. I think they just don't like to confrontation. I think they don't want to make waves. Why? Because not getting in someone's face is easy. They say, "Just say "thank you" and walk away." That's it! Let the person go on spreading the lie.

But I would challenge everyone reading this note to try, in a nice way, to ask the Blesser to please not repeat that message. Why? It is important for them to know that not everyone shares their belief. In other words, they need to know that some of us actually take offense to it. If we say nothing, then we are complicit in what they are doing!

Thanks Steve!!! Thanks for having a brain and using it.

Big Al

I get "have a blessed day" sometimes, even here in So. Cal. I just say "thank you", or "you have a good day too". It's just a mindless pleasantry after all. As for "merry xmas", I say that all December long to people I know, or even think, are Xtians. I'll admit that if I think someone is saying "merry xmas" not in a spirit of innocent good will but as a way of striking a blow against the mythical "war on xmas" I'm more likely to say "thank you, and happy holidays to you as well!" I can be so bad.

Dear Books... ( I love books too!)

Steve (see his remark above) made me realize that "Have a Blessed Day" is Proselytizing!!!

I do understand that after a while it becomes a mindless pleasentry, as you said. The important word that you used is "MINDLESS". What is so bad about that? It propagates the lie. It is as if they had just said, "God is Love" or "Jesus Loves You". Would you let those go as well?

The effect is the same. It does 2 things. First, the person tries to confirm their own belief by getting you to confirm it for them, and secondly, it demonstrates how pervasive the lie is and makes it seem "Normal and Right" thereby spreading religion in the mind of the public at large.

Don't play their game! Don't let them have it. Don't tell them they are OK to believe in blessings by saying "thank you" and moving on. You are doing them no favors by letting them keep their insane belief system.

The long term effect of religion may be the end of the world. Yes, I really believe that. We may end up killing everyone because, as George Carlin said, "We all have a different imaginary friend who lives in the sky." 9/11 was a symptom. There are people who take it seriously, and we are fighting them in the Middle East.

You know what freaks me out the most? It is the terrible way that women are treated by all religions, including Christianity. But many women are like the bird in a cage who has been kept their entire lives and who are afraid to leave the cage when the door is standing wide open. We, in the West have opened that door. Take it and condemn the cage! Tell the cage masters their world view of women is shit and that you will no longer play their game. Demand they respect you for having a brain!

I am a man who loves women. But I am just beginning to realize that the women who support Trump and put him in office are like those birds who want men to be strong and to take care of them. This is a battle of Philosophies over the proper roles of men and women.

This isn't JUST politics. We are fighting women's lib all over again, and at it's heart stands 2000 year old religions which wants to put women back in the cage!

Big Al

I say "thank you" and "you too" there's no reason to be a drama queen about it.

Thy probably don't know to be mindful of this. Just carry on. It's not your job to set them straight. Unless they are being unkind there is no reason to object

I meet quite a few "religious " people daily and my response to their well wishes, which they are, is a simple thank you.. I don't need to be confrontational when theymare simply trying to be pleasent.
I am not an evangelical atheist going door to door preaching nothing.

It is probably more sincere than the non-engaged and soulless ‘Enjoy the rest of your day’ parting gesture at McDonald’s and other retail outlets.

I always seize opportunities to challenge the way people think, so I would probably quote Mark Twain or say something humorous or clever, such as, "I'll be walking across the river this afternoon. Come and watch."

Invite the news media! Everyone will be impressed! Tell them that "Walking on water is no big deal...and then walk out on the river and come right back!" Do it on Christmas! You will make National News!!! Have someone upload it to YouTube! It will go viral!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.