Agnostic.com

12 8

What's the difference between Hispanic and Latino?

Do you know? You may be surprised in how few really know the answer.

[huffingtonpost.com]

EllenDale 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So I'm a person with Indigenous and Hispanic influence in ancestry.

@birdingnut. My friend was full Cherokee and I was jealous!

Latino = Native of Latin America... All of Latin America
Hispanic= People that traces roots to Spain....but born somewhere else
Spanish= People from Spain.
Me Latina not Hispanic, Brazilian!

Sorry, Wrong. You Brazilian are truly Latina but Hispanic is the transplanted latino that adapted to USA plus... 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation does not matter.... born in USA from Latino blood. Hispanic not even need to speak spanish or portuguese, etc.

@CeciRosane60 Something to be proud of!

@EllenDale Hell Yeah. No matter where you were born... those are your roots. Proud for life. Brazil is one amazing country.

@EllenDale very proud of being Latina...

Latino implies Latin American Heritage and Hispanic relates to Spanish Heritage. As in Spain. Differences are solely based on identity. I identify as Tejano/Chicano/ or Pocho.

@Elatcha You are what heritage? I'm sadly a Heinz 57---some of this and some of that. 😟

@EllenDale hi. All three of these are labels for Mexican descendents born in the US. Pocho is a derogatory term used by Mexicans to describe US born or Mexican American. Pocho is also the title of a play I produced in the late 90s to open a dialogue about Mexican American identity in the United States because there are so many labels. Chicano identity has strong undertones of activist participation in the equal rights movement and cultural reeducation and started in the 1960s. Tejano was a Mexican born in Texas

@Elatcha Thanks. Interesting info. I've only heard of Tejano before, but didn't know what it referred to.

What’s the difference between Celtic and bretonic?

@ Gatovicolo If I should guess, icwould say Celtic is more Irish and Bretonic is British. Am I close?

No. Celtic is a language family under indo-European that includes Irish, Welsh, Manx, Cornish, Scots-Gaelic, and Breton. Breton refers to the language spoken in Brittany in northern France. It’s almost a dead language now. Following the Saxon invasion of England, native bretonic speakers emigrated to northern France. Celtic has two effective divisions, goidelic and bretonic. Bretonic refers to the southern Celtic languages: welsh, Cornish, Manx and Breton. Goidelic refers to Irish and Scottish. @EllenDale

@Gatovicolo Score one for you. (And I prided myself on knowing the etymology of language! Ouch.)

@EllenDale So if I ask you for the Official language of Spain what will be your answer?

Castilian @GipsyOfNewSpain

What’s the official language of Lapland?@GipsyOfNewSpain

@Gatovicolo You Sir, Know what time it is and even in the fucking internet in many places Ignorance sites will say Spanish. But that is the correct name of the "spanish language" I Salute with Capital "S"..

@Gatovicolo I don't do stripper clubs but if Lapland is where I think it is... the color is green and the language is money... Pardon me if you referenced Lapland Finland (Finnish) where Santa Claus come from or Lapland UK (Elven) where the elves originate.

Lapland is in Sweden and Finland@GipsyOfNewSpain

@Gatovicolo Yeah I got the one in Finland. Didn't knew about the one in Sweden. So I should get half of a credit then... good question. Here I hear "Lapland"... I think is the name of a strip club. Dirty me.

To be simple... A Latino home is not USA... A Hispanic home is USA. I am talking about the heart's address and zip code. I wrote songs about it but they are all in "spanish" so if you don't "habla" you won't get it.

@GipsyOfNewSpain. Whisper in my ear and teach me'?

@EllenDale Mamita todo lo que tu quieras.

@GipsyOfNewSpain
usted dulce hablador. Lo quiero todo
(thanks Spanish/English translations)

@EllenDale I am "blushing" in any language you prefer. Thank You.

This is argument for a while but this is how I see myself.... I grew up a "Latino"... born and raised in Puerto Rico... every time I went to new york was the only time the term "hispanic" came up or since we were talking in spanish the term "hispano" came up. I got brothers and sisters that were/are hispanics. They were born and grew up in the USA not in Puerto Rico. I became hispanic when I joined the US Navy because in the military all latinos are included with hispanic as a race/culture. I am always going to call myself Latino.... until I go to Puerto Rico and they tell me I lost my Puertorrican accent. I almost had a heart attack in Crete, my buddies met a female Puertorrican student living in england with her boyfriend and they told her, oh we got a Puertorrican with us. We talked for a little bit and she noticed the following and told me... "You speak like a Puertorrican but you don't talk like a Puertorrican"... I knew exactly what she meant... I had dropped the knee bending, the constant speaking with our hands, the touching, the invasion of space, the familiarity even if strangers, the joy of the language and intonation. So I switched and suddenly it was a different game for everyone around us... and of course her boyfriend that speak spanish got all mad and jealous because he had never saw her speaking the way me and her were talking and communicating. She was finally able to be herself, feelling at home talking to me. We were equals. So I said to myself... never again I will forget what I am. So latino or hispanic is nothing but idiosyncrasy. My roots are too latinas to ever be hispanic... regardless what the census says. Hispanics are adapted to the american way of life, I reckon think on english first before translating... Latino will not change his way of life, think on spanish first. And will never call USA home. The hispanics has USA for home. Spanish are just from Spain. Do not forget Brazilians are also Latinos even if they talk portuguese. A Latino Sends not offended if someone ever call me hispanic... I am sure in Puerto Rico they make fun of my accent but I will pick it up in 3 days.

@GipsyOfNewSpain oh it must be wonderful to have a shared hetitage. I am not necessarily proud to be American since I was out of the country during the Viet Nam war and learned what Americans really did during the war. Canada did not censor the American war reporting. 😟

@EllenDale I have to argue on a daily basis with homeboy friends that wants to be a state of the union regardless that since the spanish american war... 5 stars (states) been added to the union... none representing Puerto Rico. We are the girl pretty enough to date but not material to marry. I got you. We saw the Vietnam war for what it was. And there were many of us in Vietnam on the front lines of course.

@GipsyOfNewSpain And you had to come home to rotten treatment for the sake of an undeclared war! Shame on our leaders!

Hispanic comes from Hispania....which was the original name of Spain during the Roman Empire. Years later Hispania (Latin) became España (which means Spain). IAW, Hispanos were the men / women born in Hispania. Today is "España / españoles".

Latino is a race / ethnic.

I am Latina and although I speak Spanish (born in Argentina) I am not of Hispanic origin because my family is from France...

The names of other two Roman Empire's provinces were Lusitania (Portugal), Galia (France) and I don't remember the other names.

@Duchessa Latino is an ethnicity, not a race.

Finally somebody correct.

My abuelito was a Mexican citizen and I still get confused.

USA has a way to re-name people and things. lol

Your abuelo era mexicano.

No.. el era Mejicano.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Mexicano....,since México requested / got the approval from the RAE to spell the country's name with """ X """.

@DUCHESSA Mejicano para mi.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Porque tú decides decirlo en español pero no los mexicanos.

@DUCHESSA Si, en honor al lenguaje.

Latino pertains to the countries or cultures that belonged to the Latin America while Hispanic describes the language or culture that were previously under the Spanish colony

Read more: Difference Between Hispanic and Latino | Difference Between [differencebetween.net]

The above is the "American version." You call me any other thing but Argentinian (now USA Citizen) and I will be madddddddddddddd.
It will be funy to hear a person describing Carlos McALLISTER, Juan COGHLAN, Federico LELOIRr, Carlos THOMPSON, Mrs. SAINT-CLAORE, Roberto IGAMISHIa....and many other Argentinians as Hispanic because their mother tongue is Spanish.

Latino is usually used to refer to a person of latin- american ancestry suxh as brazil, columbia etc. Hispanic refers to anyone who descended from spanish speaking ancestry so mor to do with language then geology.

Hispanics share that same Ancestry that Latinos claim so... what's your point again?

@GipsyOfNewSpain My friend, I am a Latina and I don't have one drop of Hispanic blood.

@DUCHESSA You don't but I bet you there are hispanics that claim the same argentinian heritage you claim. So a Hispanic will claim argentinian blood or colombian or brazilian without a argentinian, colombian or brazilian needing to claim hispanic blood. I feel the same way... father and mother born and raised in Puerto Rico. My blood is pure Puerto Rican not Hispanic. But I recognize Hispanics claiming were I come from.

@GipsyOfNewSpain To place all of us in the same bag is wrong.....specially when one is a nationality and the other is a genetic origin.

And is ARGENTINIAN NATIONALITY....the heritage can be Slavic, Celtic, Bavarian, Nordic, Asian....

Brazilian are Latinos but not of Hispanic origin.

@Reaver85. I can see this has a contentious meaning, depending on where you are from and your hetitage.

Just google it if you doubt me I'm actually giving the correct usage of the terms lol

@Reaver85 I don't doubt you. But as you can see, others have their own definition/opinion. My question wasn't meant to encourage people to puff out their chest and claim there is only one way--his/her way-- of looking at things (Im not referring to you.). My opinion is that this is exactly why we have traversed the world, to get away from people we consider assholes.

@DUCHESSA I will be honest and Clear and I will Put every single Hispanic that claims Latino Heritage in the same bag... I will also put every single Latino together as such if they claim Latino heritage. If you don't understand that all hispanics consider themselves descendents of Latin America... I can't help you. You want to be Argentinian and not Latina that is on you... if you don't want a hispanic ever to claim being Latino heritage that is on you. You are on your own. I can't help. I know your response will be that you don't need any help so I am preempting your entry so you can move on. You are not helping the dialogue. You can not change the making of the hispanic community because you want to be an exclusive argentinian. I know hispanics that carry argentinian blood. You like it or not. Can not help you.

@EllenDale But it is crystal clear what a hispanic is and a latino is. It is crystal clear for us... but all it takes is one individual with a eclectic view of their nationality to create chaos on everyone with doubts. Hispanics are descendents of latinos... hispanics will not develop anywhere else but in USA. Latinos will never develop in USA... you can only develop them in Latin America... Nuyoricans, Chicanos... are hispanics... you will never develop a Chicano in Mejico... you can not develop a Nuyorican in Puerto Rico either. It is crystal clear what a Hispanic is and a Latino is. Hispanic is a latinoamerican americanized. A hispanic do not even need to speak spanish or portuguese. Many don't. I won't continue because I expect a latino to understand what they are and to recognize the similar and the difference from a hispanic and stop being so snob about the latin american heritage, she like it or not they are our brothers, sisters and cousins they just were born or raised in gringoland as hispanics.

@DUCHESSA The Question was not about Nationality... Never Was....was about 2 bags pertaining You... one Hispanic one Latin because you don't quality for Spanish, we both know you already established you were not born in Spain. So a Bag is a Bag is a Bag.

@GipsyOfNewSpain THhe thing is that HISPANIC is a nationality. People mix nationality and genetics.... and you know are not one and the same.

@EllenDale You can bet on your words. We don't like to be described / categorized as Hispanics. You can blame Columbus and followers for this.

@GipsyOfNewSpain But your remark "A Hispanic is only developed in USA" represents /
describes a category created here....a category that places people of very different culture / traditions in the same bag...and is seen as an insult
USA took an adjective and applied it incorrectly. Think about this.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Nobody wants to create chaos...nor I have an eclectic view. As I said to you in another post...to describe Latin Americans living in USA as Hispanic is wrong. No, my friend, I don't see them as brothers and sisters....born in gringoland or in their own countries.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I would think that you...as a Latino....would understand the difference between Latino and Hispanic but your sentence " You want to be Argentinian and not Latina that is on you" proves me right....since -once again- you are mixing nationality with ethnicity. I am both...but I am not Hispanic...neither are you. You are the one no helping the dialogue.

@DUCHESSA Linguists know labels are a handle to easily refer yo a group. The derogatory, nitpicking, and crass arguing does nothing but change a positive into a negative. Cheer up and move on.

Latinos are people of distant Iberian descent in the Americas, while Hispanics are all Spanish speakers, including those from Spain.

I think.

ALMOST RIGHT. HISPANIC ARE THE ONES BORN IN SPAIN....THIS GENTILICIO IS USED MOSTLY IN A HISTORIC WAY.

To place people from Spain and Latin America (Brazilian are of Portuguese origin) on the same category "because language / traditions" is incorrect because 1) many Latin-Americans have no genetic ties to Spain and 2) Spain is not very well loved in Latin America.

@DUCHESSA not quite, accordingbto the definition.

@EllenDale The definitions are usually written according to " convenience"...and in many cases according to ignorance. If you go by the origin of the adjective Hispanic....it describes the nationality (in Latin) of the people born in Hispania (Spain)....and I can assure you people born in any country, in the region known as Latin America, are not Hispanic....and will be very offended if you address them with said adjective.
USA has "a need" to place people in categories and made the mistake of placing the Latino-Aamericans in the one where the Spaniards should be.
I have discussed this subject countless times over the years. People never will a see reality.

@DUCHESSA please study the history of dictionaries so that people reading this don't go away misinformed.

@EllenDale Please, study History and become informed that to use " Hispanic "t o describe Spanish speaking people is incorrect.
I provided you with info. about Hispania / España (Spain) don't let it pass by you.

Hispanic is relating to Spain and Latino is relating to Latin America.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23946
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.