Agnostic.com

40 3

What is the purpose of life?

As a non believer I often wonder about this.

• 17 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 19 votes
Akfishlady 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Source:

It helps to increase entropy.

Many people have put quite sensible answers but what I think is that all those answers are linked by a common denominator, that is to transmit as much of their DNA to the next generation as possible. Making money certainly produces that effect but also making life better for others because you'll be loved by others and they'll help you to survive. Everything converges on leaving copies of our DNA and because there are many ways of doing that, some of them in absolute opposition to one another, then that's why there are so many different answers. What I don't understand is the many people who wrote down No Purpose at all. However even if they think so on a practical level they behave in the best way for them to maximise their chances to leave copies of their DNA.

For everyone it's different, but for me, I think it's to experience as much good as I can in this world. Only by doing things and achieving goals do you grow as a person and I think that what really makes people happy is the good experiences in life.

What ever you decide to make it.

loving laughing learning lolling lilting living.......

Indoor climbing!

To suggest purpose , is to suggest intelligent design . There is no god . Bottom Line !

Dougy Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

To be what you are and to become what you are capable of becoming.

I thought I was going to be original here, but it seems as though everyone beat me to the punchline. The purpose of my life is finding that which makes me a better person, more educated person, and a person who understands that finding out I'm wrong about something is equally as valuable as finding out I'm correct about something. (If that doesn't make sense I can explain later.) My purpose is for me to discover and never to impose any part of it on anyone else.

What you make it. You are the crown of creation. It's up to you.

Life's purpose is, and always has been, to perpetuate life. That is, to pass on DNA.

to help those around you have a good life

I gonna Party until they remove me from the respirator. I don't know about you guys.

Purpose only makes sense in life. Outside of human life it’s without meaning.

Not outside the societies of other animals. @Akfishlady
Purpose is an end goal. If I’m casting a line with a hook, I’m trying to catch a fish. The purpose of my actions is directed towards an end goal. Comets, planets, wind, molecules, atoms have no end goal. They just are. As a species, we just are. Unless you want to posit an ultimate intelligence that’s using us as some sort of instrument. I find that notion farcical. However, I have intelligence and I can use that intelligence to use instruments towards an end goal; a purpose. I can use a fishing pole to fish. However, assuming life has purpose is anthropomorphic. We’re thinking about the natural world in human terms. That’s mistaken.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.