Agnostic.com

10 3

In my latest updated post, I mentioned my bestie, Patty, and that her kids (an 18-year-old son and a 24-year-old daughter) are atheists. She is a Catholic, but doesn't believe in prayer or the bible. Actually, her daughter is leaning towards atheism. (Yay!!) Anyway, her son is a on a professional bowling team. The only college that would give him the most in a scholarship for bowling was a Xian college. Yep, $16,000. Other colleges offered less. So, he got accepted and signed on. Well, in bible college, you are required to take a class on religion. There is one class, she said, that is all about all the different religions out there. I forgot the name of it though? Money talks apparently. He's a really smart kid. Patty's husband is agnostic. Soon she may move towards atheism. We had a good discussion on atheism over dinner. Would you go into a Xian college just for the sports scholarship?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For a free ride? Yeah. I think I might have some concerns about Liberty U, but other than that, if it is accredited, why not?

Yep.

I took a full-ride academic scholarship to a Methodist-affiliated junior college back at the turn of the century (literally). Lasted one and a half semesters. Rural Georgia sucks.

I bet.

Nothing wrong with learning about all the different religions. Believing any are magically true? That's different.

He's a strong atheist.

It may be his only way to get an education. I graduated from one of them. I went for the art program. It was a power house at the time. But not anymore.

Oh, okay.

Comparative religion classes can be interesting, if they're taught without bias.

True.

Depends on his major, LOL!
But what does it matter, if religion is bogus? Take the money, and the smaller classes should be beneficial as well.

He is.

My brother and his wife are Anglican (now) they sent all 3 kids to a Catholic High School at a hefty cost. All 3 kids are atheists, must have spent too much time with their uncle. All 3 were dux of the school, 1 has just commenced work as associate professor of Maths and Physics (25 years old) , the other 2 are in final year of medicine the older is already a pharmacist. I think if a school can prepare kids for that, then I would send the kids regardless of religion. My kids didn't go to private schools, but still are happy in life so that counts as well.

It's all for the money.

I've heard from a few converts that lost their faith while they were in a religious school. College is fucking expensive, I can see going for the scholarship if he can get the the education he needs/wants.

It's a scholarship.

No...I had a hard enough time being a teacher in a very Conservative school district.

I know the feeling!!!

Oh, wow.

Personally, I would find the environment of a religious institution very uncomfortable and would not want to spend those formative years pretending to be something I’m not.

They know he's an atheist.

Really! I’m surprised. A lot of religious institutions require students to accept their dogma. @Sarahroo29

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.