Agnostic.com

7 3

Does anyone else feel that longevity at your place of employment works against you these days? It isnt an asset anymore?

Livinlife 9 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some employers feel you may have developed bad habits form some companies, too set in your ways, they have their own systems and want someone who can adapt quickly. On the other hand, people can see it that your company values you, you have a lot of experience, I think combined with ongoing learning it is a good thing. I would always teach my staff how I did things, then once they learned that I would send them off on formal to learn the proper way, then hopefully over their careers they would learn ways that worked best for them.

Annual wages reward longevity. If a person is in a $15 job and is earning $22 because of longevity there is a temptation to let the long timer go.

@Atheistman Somewhere along the line someone will multiply $7 times 2000 hours and realize that is his nice new fishing boat.

@Atheistman lmao.. I have yet to meet one of those "I have too much money" people.

Yes it does..though that's been the norm for at least 20 years..the reason is simple..why pay someone with experience when you can pay someone younger less and train them the way you need.

This is what I'm experiencing now. 180 degrees fom my parents.

Temporary employment is the second fastest growing employment group...tells you all you need to know.

Yep, for multiple reasons. First, I've been there for over 13 years, and that's a long time to be anywhere. I've never been anywhere this long. I'm burned out. Second, I work in a tech field, and one employer for too long isn't necessarily a résumé builder when technology changes rapidly and lack of variety in experience can be a detriment. And, last, I work for a newspaper/media group and, while it's a lot of responsibility, it's a struggling industry so there's not a lot of opportunity for training, and it's a niche market so what works for this corporation isn't necessarily transferrable to others. (With that said, I do try to keep up to date on trends within my field and do things that enhance my skills set. I'm also unsure I want to stay in my field, so I continually develop other skills that might help me transition yo something different.)

You're right.
These days people typically change jobs every two years, usually with a raise and increased responsibility, so it you've stayed in the same place for years, you might be thought unmotivated, or lazy, not caring that you're stuck in a rut.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24080
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.