Agnostic.com

17 2

Would you get into a relationship with a person who already had kids with previous partners/partner?

I’ve been called cold cold-heart several times because I won’t because I don’t want any of the unnecessary drama and responsibility of someone’s else child. I’ve seen some pretty horrid things between step parents and step kids, including seeing the stepkids turn completely on their stepparents even after they’ve made huge sacrifices for them to try to give them the best of lives and when it comes down to it, the step kids usually blame the step parent for the break up of their biological parents, even though in some cases it’s not even the step parent’s fault.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Willy is my second father," my daughter Claire said. They love each other.

Willy was my boyfriend for five years.

Yeah why not, and I would treat the kids as my own also.

Nope. I don't even want kids of my own. Why would I want someone else's?

Lol I always love when I see an answer from you!

I married a woman with two children in grade school, and we've been together 35 years. No regrets.

I ask myself this all the time. I think I am willing but really more about the person themselves. I need to be sure that me not going to church with them isn't going to be a problem and that is a tough sell in the south. So that is almost always a question I ask before we even go so far as to meet

Sure. It could be a net bonus or a liability. Totally depends.

At my age it would grand kids 🙂

You will learn a lot about someone based on how they parent. That being said, it would be incredibly unlikely that at my age a gentleman not have children.
I would also hope that they have as good relationship with thier ex as I do with mine.
I understand your concerns with drama. That unfortunately has nothing to do with children. It has to do with the adults having an unhealthy relationship whose issues need to be resolved before bringing someone new into the fold.

Of course, I would! If I love him, I'm going to love his children as my own as well.

In my personal experience, I've never had an issue with a man's children not liking me. It's been his ex/ baby mama drama. THAT there was and would be the cause of my break up with a man. (If his ex is psycho towards me.)

His children and mine will ALWAYS be our priority above anything or anyone.

Disclosure: He can't have more than 2 kids. A guy with too many kids (more than 3 max) is a turn-off for me. And if he has multiple baby mamas, even worse! (Unless we make one of our own.) Which is not likely to happen. Thanks to birth control!!!

At 31 you still should have plenty of men to choose from that don't have kids. Myself, at 57... I wouldn't mind kids if they were in their mid teens or up. I don't have a kid-friendly house and don't think I could put up with the "terrible twos" at this stage of my life.

I would, depending on the situation. I have five kids myself, but mine are all grown. Not sure if I could do another baby, but older? Yeah, probably.

Let's just say I'm willing to be flexible for the right person. ?

For me I would have to say no, unless the children are well over 18.

It’s a personal choice. A stepparent often is not embraced by the children, so you go into the relationship understanding that dynamic and be willing to deal with it, or you avoid the relationship. I have done it with no regrets. These days, at my age, I prefer a woman who has children. Otherwise she won’t be able to understand my lifetime commitment to being a father.

I have several times. None of them worked out, but I can't blame it on the kids. It can be rough though. And it can be real good too.

There is nothing wrong with that. It's happed to me. The kids turned on me and I lost her .

Nope, not knowing what I know now. May sound cruel, they are not my kids, they are yours. I never had children so I can never be as close to their children as they are. I've had the Mom turn on me for not caring for her kids as if they were my own, no more of that.

Yes, I would. Yes, I am in such a relationship now. My wife's daughter was in high school when we first started dating. She wasn't too thrilled about me then but we have a good relationship now. Just because something has the potential to work out badly does not mean that it will.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:240873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.