Agnostic.com

32 2

How did you come out to your family as atheist (or whatever you identify as)?

I have been considering for a while now how to work in the fact that I no longer subscribe to the beliefs of my family. They are devout, and I can't keep pretending that I still go to church. I know most people say not to make it a big deal, but this is going to be a big deal. Even a fraction of a detail that doesn't coincide with my dad's worldview is going rock the boat and maybe lead to a full interrogation. So how did you folks do it? Do they know the extent of what you believe? Sexuality coming out stories apply here, too!

EarthKate 5 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I need to say it, because my father wants me to say verses from the Quran at his funeral, one day. I asked him what has more meaning for him, verses everyone would speak in a language that it isn‘t mine or my own words that comes deep from my heart.

I told him what meaning religion has for me, or what we called religion. If religion is something that is good for us, combine yourself the ingredients of your religion.

My religion consists of family, friends, music, sport, laughing, nature. Everything I like and is good for me. My life.

I avoid anything and everyone who disturbs my peace and freedom.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 16, 2018

I was never in.

Right from the start of discussions I asked too many questions and said I didn't believe their answers. They weren't too bothered and I soon realised I was an atheist.

I didn't come out at all. My parents (mainly my father) tried to get me to believe as a child, but it always looked like BS to me. I hate lies, so I just stated the truth.

I just stopped going to church. Being away at college while I figured this out made it easier to cope with.

DrT Level 4 Dec 18, 2018

You don't need to "come out". To me, religion, or lack thereof, is deeply personal. If they ask just say it's personal. The problem i see a lot is that once you come out as atheist, especially if your family is religious, they try to push it on you and pretty soon theyre condtamtly sending religuois stuff to you and then getting upset when you don't respond the way they want and it creates unnecessary tension. So you don't need to say anything. Just stop going to church and if asked just say it's something you want to keep to yourself.

I can relate to what you are saying as I am going through the same process. I don't want to hurt anyone but it's impossible to avoid that when you are from a religious family. I did it in stages . They have still not accepted the fact that I m not religious and still try to get me to go to church . In my community , it's difficult for a person without faith to have friendships and relationships . It's difficult to have to constantly explain to people why you don't want to go to church or why you are not religious. Even if you explain it to them they don't understand most of the time. I am not the kind of person who will constantly engage with religious people to stand up for my convictions. I am just tired of having to explain over and over again why I don't have any faith . So when my family insists I just go to the mass / religious service to oblige them . It's difficult to be completely liberated from religion without damaging your relationship with your family .

I put it on my Facebook. I may or may not submit to their questioning. It's my truth to give or keep.

Concerning sexuality... even more important that you pick and choose who deserves to have their curiosity answered.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:242022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.