Agnostic.com

17 10

What is the most bittersweet moment you've had in your life?

For me, it is my blind-sided separation/divorce on Father's Day 2017. Nearly 8 months later, after hundreds of self-improvement videos, websites, 40 lbs weight loss, laughing and smiling like I was a child again, dressing nice (mostly tops with red or maroon saying HEY LOOK AT ME!) wearing cologne again, never noticed how often women check men out!
Relishing the new ME! 20 years with the same person that gave up, her loss! Never under estimate a determined person!

Happy Valentines fellow Heathens!
Peace be with you and may happiness bring a smile to each of you!

HeyHiHullo 7 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother's death. She suffered with many illnesses and pain throughout the last 10 years of her life. However sad it was, I was also relieved to see her not suffering any longer. It was quite bittersweet. I felt selfish for mourning her because I know at times she wanted to end her life from the pain and troubles she had. But I've learned to mourn because she was and always will be my mom and best friend.

This also kicked me into having a healthier life, eating better and losing weight. Making major decisions to move my life along so that I can fully enjoy it.

Looking at my son a few weeks old and knowing this essence of innocence would be hurt someday by life in some way and knowing there was no way possible I could stop all of it for him. A little defeat at a joyous time.

Giving my friend a pedicure and us telling each other we loved each other, when she was dying of cancer.

I think the most bittersweet moment for me was watching the mother of my child be arrested in Family Court a few years ago. Among other things, she had skipped bail on a domestic violence charge and moved out of state and wanted our son to visit her out of state. Knowing full well that she was essentially a fugitive I didn't want to risk him being with her out of state wehn she was arrested, and it was just a matter of time.

Handing things by the book, I had her summoned to court by filing paperwork appealing to the judge to block her from taking him out of state. Hearing of the multiple arrests warrants, the judge had her arrested in the courtroom.

Bitter, because I don't wish her harm I just want our kid to be safe and sound and have positive role models. Sweet, because. well, just because.

Fast forward to the present. Unable to locate her for child support enforcement, I discovered that she is incarcerated again. Probation violation, resisting arrest, felony DWI... Again, bitter: an incarcerated person can't pay several thousand dollars of back child support. Sweet--well, some would say "Karma is a bitch."

when my daughter was born she was 5 pounds weight and had pyloric stenosis meaning she was constantly sick with undigested food and constantly hungry. I spent load of hours washing her, washing her clothes et.etc. I was nineteen so had the energy for it then -

She was taken into hospital 2 times and put into an incubator we weren't allowed in those days to stay with, but visited ever visiting hour. Once she was in the incubator nearest the door which meant she was seriously poorly, when we went to see her the next day the incubator was empty and I nearly screamed we were rushing around looking for our babe when a nurse came and said she got a little better and was in a cot. The relief was indescribable.

Watching my dad take care of my mom as she died from Alzheimer's. Seeing the love in his eyes as she finally slipped away, a year after being on hospice. My mother was the best person in the world, always helping, never judging. Seeing her many friends come visit her during her final years. The pictures from her 50 year HS reunion, wheelchair bound but smiling. She had postcortical atrophy which steals your vision and motor skills but she could still recognize her friends.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 18, 2018

I don't see much sweet about the separation, but I'm super happy for you that you've realized so much positive change! Keep it up and enjoy!

I think spending time with my grandchildren could be described as bittersweet. I love them so much...can see them for the special people they are...yet am sad about their home life (my son and his so having hard times) and worry about them growing up in this crazy world. I want to protect and nurture them always...but I know I can't.

Perhaps , if you had done these things while you were married , she may not have asked for the divorce . I had several long discussions with my husband , which he chose to totally ignore . After I finally gave up , he felt sorry for himself , but did nothing to fix any of the problems . He remarried , and his second wife , was left with all the same problems to deal with , and wasn't any happier about them , than I had been .

Not all humans are the same, neither are the circumstances for their divorces.
Appreciate your opinion.
It reminds me of those that say, "Perhaps if she wasn't dressed that way, she might not have been raped". You don't know what you don't know and you are only responsible for your own actions.
"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt".

"Not fair to you", "There is no time machine", and "It is what it is" all lines she used in the end.
Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

Most definitely not the same as , " Perhaps if she wasn't dressed that way , she not have been raped . " While it's true , I am only responsible for my own actions , you also have to live with the choices your spouse makes . Sometimes the only way you can live with those choices , is to bow out altogether . I view a marriage as a team effort , it takes two . It shouldn't be just one taking on all the responsibilities , while there's no input from the other . And no it's not a matter of changing a person after the wedding vowels . It's a matter of someone not living up to the prewedding presentation .

@Cast1es amen

@Cast1es Marriage is a team effort. When your partner avoids conflict (2 arguments in 20 years, 3rd being divorce) and refuses marriage counseling, lacks communication skills, there are underlying issues that they need to work on themselves before attempting to find happiness in a relationship... they'll never be happy and will drag these issues from partner to partner.

@HeyHiHullo I agree . But talking is only half of the communication problem . Listening is the other half . No matter how much you talk , if the other party either doesn't listen in the first place , or totally ignores what was discussed , it's pointless .

The moment my wife died unexpectedly was the most bittersweet moment of my life i have never progressed from this...yet.....am trying really hard but even after a year still fearfully opposed unless you have something good to take over....

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Holding my wife as she died. I worked night shift from home and was in the other room on the computer. I heard her gasping for breath. She had muscular dystrophy, we had agreed that when she had trouble breathing we don't call the hospital we just let it happen. I stopped work curled up with her in bed and just held her. She smiled. She new it was the end, her last memory was the man who loved her holding her.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Going off happily to a CND demonstration in Trafalgar square with friends; and my mother crying and imploring me not to go because she was remembering, her own war , And wanted defence in place.

Putting my beloved dogs out of there misery

Mine is on the same path...so far eating ...but his cough ( bad heart) is getting worse, now vet told me his trachea is collapsing ....cannot even imagine...sorry for your loss

Sorry to hear, have had to do the same, it is tough.
Vet gave me option to be by their side when they sent them on their way, very bittersweet holding their face in your hand as they peacefully drift off.
Thank you for sharing Leigh.

it's horrible and not the first or last time but the positive side outways the negative every time. I guess we all wish our dogs lived all our lives but they don't sadly. money really doesn't buy everything and that includes my dogs however if there suffering rather than living I have to do whats right by them and do. I would do it for humans including myself. I have a great report with my vet and would say he is a good friend that I generally only meet for business. I always ask him straight and he replies straight and that's the way I like it. thank you @CeciRosane60. there's living and existing.

you got to be there when they go. if you can't be there at the end when they need you the most why be there at the start and middle when you need them? it never hurt anyone to cry.

@LeighShelton Always remember the fun times and imagine the joy you brought to them each time you came home, or took them out to play.

yes @HeyHiHullo that's what it's all about

@LeighShelton

That's what it's all about alright!

As a longtime fan of sci-fi and fantasy beginning when I was 10 I was always enamored by things I couldn't explain. Later I found that knowledge was taking the magic from my world. I thought how wondrous it was that a blood cell could exchange CO2 for O2, but it turned out it was simply an equalization of gases.
Trading the unknown for a known, the magic is gone now, knowledge and truth are gained.
Childhood's end.

I don't know... sometimes you let someone go never to be seen again and there she is knocking at your door. And at that moment you realize... she wasn't that important and the fact she returned is enough to close the door back. And you are satisfied it was not revenge or bitterness it was simply Closure on your Own terms.

I concur, read about that where ex's always seem to come back at some point. Not happening, done my homework, my personal work, deserve FAR better than how this all transpired.
Thank you for your input!

@HeyHiHullo Keep it up... Man... you are on your way to the Rest of Your Life... and it is going to be Great.

@GipsyOfNewSpain too true! Have an entire lifetime ahead, if I can make it to 92! Lol

@HeyHiHullo My mom is 90 or 91 depending on the day. May you be the last man alive on earth and the last other human voice you hear will be mine.

Glad you landed on your feet!

Thank you very much, always look after #1, yourself!

Wow congrats.

Wow is right!
😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24461
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.