Agnostic.com

8 6

Name several cultural assumptions that have tripped you up when traveling, either coming to the US, or visiting/living overseas?
Example:

1. Assuming floors and sidewalks are level (Thailand; they make different levels for flooding water protection, and houses are designed to be hosed down for cleaning).

2. Assuming drivers will obey traffic lights or signs (Mexico. They were more like "suggestions." ) ).

3. Assuming that buying groceries meant a trip to the open farmers' market and bartering (assumptions made in Haiti, when I visited the US)

4. Assuming that all people can be sorted into two genders, and will naturally behave according to conventional gender norms (Thailand, where Thai Buddhism accepts a Third Gender)

birdingnut 8 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was amazed at the primitive currency in the usa.
Paper notes and all same size and colour

When I first came to australia I thought people want to know how I am when asking: how ya doin, love?

my friend & I arrived in los angeles once, having to get around hitchhiking before we found the right car to travel up the coast. never would I have expected a cool dude in a mercedes sports car giving us a ride. but he did 🙂

I have not many assumptions as such, being more of an observer.... sorry.

Made the assumption that we would need to know the local language to get by when traveling. My first trip to Europe was France, and one of the people in our team was fluent in french. Was on a science and technology exchange. Found that I could understand science papers, especially if they had lots of graphs fairly well. On our longer trips, we have always learned some travel level language. Wife does well in german and french, and I speak some spanish.
Driving would be similar to how the people at home drive. The reality is everywhere is a little different.
Shopping in local markets might be difficult to figure out how everything works. Not so much, pointing works fairly well.

I was there twice in the 80's and got to visit 9 countries and if you see someone between 15 and 60 they spoke enough that you could get any thing or anywhere you wanted. Greece was the one exception but was told they didn't like tourists on the main land only the islands. Spent two months the first time and one the second. I've actually more relatives in France than here in the US.

I was surprised that all over Europe the food wasn't usually packaged and most showers and bathrooms were for both genders.

I was skiing with a group of Germans a number of years ago. Language was not a barrier for us as I had recently completed seven years of German language study. At the end of a great day of skiing and story swapping, one of rhe guys turns to me and asks me, "Are you Irish?" Well, my ancestry is German and Swiss, I was born and raised in America. I asked him, why he thought I might be Irish and he replied, " Well, you have an Irish accent." I thought about that for a moment or two and it dawned on me. My German Teacher. Miss Quinn, was Irish! It was the first time that I realized that other languages were subject to regional accents just like English.

LOL! Who knew?

@birdingnut apparently, I really roll my R's...

From a Former Expat to a Current Expat in Thailand, I must say leaving all western cultural assumptions behind for successful living in that country is essential. You go from usually a culture of false black and whites to a culture of vast shades of grey. How I miss it.

I like Mexico but the cultural approach to time is really jarring to me. I hear "now" and they mean in maybe a half hour. "Soon" means within the hour. I'm used to being early everywhere and that means a lot of waiting there.

I always used to ask friends who invited me places if it was "US or Mexico time?" and adjusted the deadline forward by a couple of hours if it was Mexico time.

@birdingnut, where i live now, this little shire in australia, has it's own timezone. it's called byron bay time, & means: anything can happen anytime - or not. expect the unexpected. i know; it's a hard one 😉

@walklightly Wow! It's breathtakingly beautiful there! Lucky you!

yes, @birdingnut, i am aware of it. every morning when i wake up i consider myself immensely lucky as to where that is.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24550
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.