Agnostic.com

9 2

In the past I have tried to have debates/discussions with individuals who were against any gun control in America. I don't have the patience for that anymore. From now on I will remain quiet or tell them to fuck off.

Rudy1962 9 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There already is some gun control (State by State). It's obviously inadequate.

There now needs to be reasonable gun control. I see little hope while the NRA is buying off our representation.

And I understand the thrill of shooting off a rapid fire gun in a controlled setting - but does anyone need to own that? (Other than certain Police and the Military?).

Also increase funding to Mental Health Programs - they've had nothing but cut backs for decades.

IMHO.

Also had a nephew at a school stabbing. Not just guns. - People have used fertilizer to blow up schools. Etc....

Guns are not the problem. Let's quit blaming the object and deal with the people using the object. Identify what the real problem is. And the problem is not with the gun, itself. Having said that I'd like to share a story about a former student of mine who has graduated. This student earned a certification that would allow them to apply for a professional license, issued by the State, to work in an area in which they had absolutely no business, whatsoever, being in. But, the laws of the United States of America protected this student from being discouraged or denied equal opportunity to pursue this education and certification. I dreaded the day when a potential employer would call upon me for a reference check. That call did come. At that point the 'former' student was no longer protected by law and I offered my professional opinion as to their emotional and mental capacities to perform the work, applied for. That's part of my professional responsibility. I did not support the job applicant in any fashion and was very plain about what the problems were. Several of us at my school had conferenced about this problem prior to the student graduating and all were in agreement that employment in the particular field of study/certification would be inappropriate, but the employer would have the final say. The certification had nothing to do with guns so don't fear. My story is simply an example of how an emotionally and mentally challenged individual can pass through all of the required steps to pursue a particular endeavor and they are protected by law. There's no effective screening process to disqualify these persons when they have no prior 'record'. I don't know if this person was hired but if so, at least I am on record as to why they should not be placed into that area of responsibility. Let's quit calling this gun control. It's not a gun issue. It's a complex problem that exists at a much deeper level in society, law, and mental health and a plethora of additional things that I can't even speak to. If we respond with more 'knee jerk' reactions, we're going to keep getting more of the same thing we have right now.

Yah, I've kind of headed that direction myself. I get sick every time I see another shooting, but when I watched Sandy Hook, and how our leaders chose to handle what was, for me, one of the most tragic episodes in recent memory, I realized that this is an issue we're just not going to tackle. As long as there's an NRA, pretty much nothing is going to be done. So I don't debate ammosexuals anymore.

I hear you! You can't fix stupid!

In regards to this specific issue, it does appear to be a futile attempt. I have come to the conclusion that those gun advocates who spew the standard throwaway lines of defense are just covering up for an irrational, almost juvenile worldview wrapped up in a testosterone addiction to a romanticized view of what guns are used for..

While I don't begrudge anyone from owning a gun for self defense, just like I don't begrudge anyone who would use a hammer and nail to build a house, only a professional home builder would truly need a nail gun to get the same job accomplished. There is no reason for assault weapons or the accompanying accessories to be available to civilians. All the nitpicking arguments over definition, or what constitutes an assault weapon are ridiculous.

This country seems incapable of reaching a solution, let alone the political will to actually seriously make an effort. This level of cynicism already has it's own music score, brought to you by the Drowning Pool.

Source:

News Flash! We do have gun control. What we do not have control over is the ability to control mentally unstable persons.

[nbcnews.com]
What kind of gun control are you talking about? Trump doesn't even want to restrict them from getting guns? If you are talking about healthcare, well, Republicans are not for that either, it costs money and they want all of that for themselves.

It is hard. I’m originally from the south and most folks there are hard core gun people. You speak to them about guns and the need to change - universal background checks, limits on magazine size , a ban on bump stocks , etc and you get back a list of NRA and Fox News taking points - or they blame it on “removing god from schools”.

I got off Facebook last week. I would be going crazy if I were still on there with the posts from people there. I’ll try to work instead to try to help non NRA politicians get elected.

We have to change things.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

Good for you about FB too. I'm about to get off too.

Here! Here!
I'm not going to promise to remain quiet. I've had enough of this bullshit.

Staying quiet is probably not a good Idea. For me it's an admission that I cannot emotionally handle hearing anymore lame ass excuses for all the deaths.

Especially the people who say the solution to our gun problem is...more guns! Fuck off with that nonsense.

Classic NRA talking point. I'm so sick of these people!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.