Agnostic.com

4 1

Is there a difference b/t activist atheism & militant atheism?

atheist 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is there order in each discipline, activist atheism or militant atheism? Or are these expanded terms to qualify an atheist order? Seems to me atheism will always be without order.

Militant, by definition, means willing to go to violent extremes. Activist means willing to take action or to stand one's ground. I applaud your attempt to clarify. It serves us well when we use language with clarity and precision.

I would say yes but general society would say no. I think activist would include simply being upfront about not-believing and being unafraid to stump for the right to not be subjected to religion. Militant is a more extreme form of protestation.

Maybe "tone?" Activist atheism is important. Perhaps militant atheism is just a disparaging label when someone thinks an atheist is being mean. So much subjectivity in volved, here, but I guess the difference would be the sophistication of one's diplomacy efforts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.