Agnostic.com

12 5

QUESTION After 'Choosing Donald Trump,' Is The Evangelical Church In Crisis? : NPR

It impossible to be a Christian and a Trump supporter simultaneously. Trump's glorification of wealth, violence and hating those who are different from you is the antithesis of Jesus's message of love, acceptance and giving up material wealth. Perhaps it is easier for me, as an atheist, to see this obvious dichotomy.

Diarmaede 7 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it was in crisis before and trump incident is a result.

I think he’s the inevitable merging of Prosperity Preaching and politics. This has happened before, Caesar comes to mind, but we wouldn’t have believed it could happen again. So much for belief. People will eventually reject it but, without democracy, have no way except revolt to stop it. This time the environment isn’t going to supply the time for such a play. It will drive events and very few, if any, will survive. In that way everything will be in crisis.

You are not seeing the disregard of the Constitution in the separation of church and state. The school voucher system is against the Constitution because it includes church schools. Religion plays a large part in Roe vs Wade, contraception availability and the use of prayer sessions before meetings in various parts of the government. To let these creep in is a disgrace.

I'd say they're convinced that everything he's doing is god's plan so they're okay with anything he does and says. They will forgive, overlook, and dismiss any improprieties he might do or say. How they can consider themselves christians is paradoxical.

SamL Level 7 Oct 31, 2017

The leaders of the evangelical religious right are doing exactly what Trump is doing and saying do as I say, and not as I do.

If you can believe that a talking snake tricked a rib-woman into eating a magic apple, you can believe that Donald Trump is doing a good job representing Christians.

BD66 Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

I wish, but I doubt it. I see the “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters” holding up with Evangelicals. These people have no critical thinking skills and they’re teaching their children to be the same by homeschooling them. It’s hard to be optimistic with these people around and I live in their midst.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

And we think this is a bad thing because......? And what statement has Trump made where he has said he hates anyone who is not like him?

I don't think so. These selfish bastards have a mentality that they will be the next to be rich. The preachers even tell them they will be rewarded by donating. They forgive Peter Popoff and jimmy Swaggart, and just like his base does not change, they will not give up their religion of redemption through greed.

They are nto in crises as their church in particular is all about appearances only, and not having to actually live a life according to doctrine. That is why they arent' alarmed by Trump beign the way he is. It isn't all that different from the hypocrisies they live daily and just doesn't seem bad to them.

I may be a bit to snarky and cynical today, but at this moment tht is hwo I see it.

It is causing reasoning Christians and truly moral Christians to distance themselves from the evangelical "trash". How much it will hurt them? A lot, I hope.

The basis for all religion is fear. Fear of mortality is the driving force and these people will believe any convoluted creed (they do already). The quote from Voltaire applies here: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities". Right now too many of the religiosity see Trump as the coming of the end times and follow him because of this. Several years ago it was shown many Christians were funding the return of Jews to Israel as it will foster a war between the Jewish state and Palestine - a portend of the end times. Remember, this is about cowardice, greed and violence (their attitude toward guns proves they enjoy violence).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2473
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.