Agnostic.com

12 4

Do you ask or let them tell?

I have no concrete knowledge, and as a straight woman, my radar likely isn't the most sensitive, but I wonder sometimes if my son may be gay. He's 16 yrs old, and I'm confident he knows I would have no problem accepting him for whatever he may be. He's a lovely human and I would never want him to change. I've had gay friends tell me to remain objectively supportive but not to address it directly. To let him come out in his time, that addressing it before he may be ready could do more harm than good. But as a mother, it breaks my heart to think he may spend any part of his life not accepting who he is and I feel like there should be something I could do to help him get there sooner, to encourage self acceptance, and if there isn't, I still want to be prepared to deal with things constructively in the background. Thoughts, suggestions, and other experiences welcome.

Amzungu 8 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My parents were divorced when I was only 3 years old. My mother told me that when I was in my early 20s, my father asked if I was homosexual, because I never seemed to have a girl friend and spent most of my time on things to do with cars, and many of my friends were homosexual. If truth be told, I was far too busy "discovering" the world to be wasting time on girl friends. I loved theatre, so many of my friends were indeed "gay", both male and female.
Eventually, I started to find female companionship quite rewarding, especially if they could fix a car, help out in a photographic dark room, or handle a screwdriver.
Then I discovered they had another trick up their sleeve (or was it skirt?) and blew my father's doubts well away.
So, be patient. He's still exploring the world and choosing what he likes.

Just keep telling him the you love him and support his choices on life. No conditions and hint at expectations at the time of telling. If knows you support and trust him, he'll feel less stress and share with you ehen he's ready.

I think asking would be a bad idea. Show him through your actions and words that you aren't homophobic, he will feel safe telling you if and when it is time to.

Great mom, que sera sera. ...raging 16 year old hormones inside us guys is no time for self reflection when we parade school halls every 49 minutes between classes & gym & such....bumping into padded bras & itchy jock straps is stimulation enough for our sons to deal with. ...media is full of OK 2 b gay and an Atheist mom surely is not sending any child to hellfire Adham&Ewe lecture halls called churches. ....having 4 hockey players in the house is totally bonding time with a cool cool mom tidying up behind them. ....it's not about looking at Playboys and bragging about back seat virginity triumphs anymore. ...no guy wants to talk to mom about erections and who our first kiss is with.... just be there.....you're already supportive and Atheist. ....I do not know if there is a Boston Women's Collective book for guys but for girls 2 editions exist now OUR BODIES OURSELVES. ....that book would be great to leave next to the microwave, fridge or coffee table where people sit.....curiosity how women talk about themselves lesbian or straight or trans is a mirror for any wise young man. ...imagine how tough it was for me MR MOM for ten years my daughter alone in a political hot house age 6 to 16. ....maybe you could break the ice by asking your son in the parking lot of McDonald's a leading question: " do you know about the pedophile priests raping girls and boys of teen years ?.....a good tangient for him to share his identity perspective without personal mom to son direct gay/straight talk

Just ask "are you gay" because that answer will lead to a ton of acceptance and knowledge.

Is there a problem? Is he unhappy? Does he have friends, doing well in school, and seems to enjoy life (as much as any 16 y/o can)? Let's say he said no...or let's say he said yes to being gay...is there anything in your day to day that would change? I would say if there a change you would make, you are not being an engaged parent to begin with, since really being a good parent is just being involved and letting them know if they need you, you are there. 16 is an age where they need the freedom to grow into adulthood, make mistakes and get hurt. Your job NOW is to ensure the mistakes they make are not so bad as to ruin the rest of their life. It's VERY VERY hard to do, but you have to give them the space to learn. At 18, when life slaps them in the face, they need to have the strength and confidence in themselves from the lessons they learned under your limited guidance to face them as an adult.

No problems. He's happy, happier than most 16 yr olds, actually, and often talks to me about how he doesn't understand why so many of his peers are so seemingly depressed. He's extremely successful in school and his social circles of band, DND, soccer, etc. He's always been a bit wise beyond his years and I've definitely encouraged independence with both my boys (and they have embraced that). I'm no where near a helicopter mom, and fully realize that at this age they require far more guidance than supervision. But you asking if anything would change spoke to me the most. Not a single thing would change. I don't even need to know. I guess I just need to know I'm not doing harm by doing nothing. And everyone's responses here have supported that. Thank you.

@Amzungu2 Sounds like you're an amazing mom, and doing a great job! Glad to hear he is doing so well. 😀

@jondspen
Reminds me of one of my daughter’s friends.
As he was leaving the house for an after school activity he said “ by mom- I’ll be back in a couple hours, and I think I’m gay.”
It wasn’t a huge surprise to anyone, but he made his decision to come out.

His mom stopped him and they talked a bit more about his announcement.

He had lots of support from both parents, and is doing well in college now.

I say don't ask, just accept. Don't preach, be kind and loving.
I don't know my 30 year old daughter's sexuality and I don't ask. I know of no males in her life. She lives a few hundred miles away. She has lived with the same female roommate for 9 years? 7?
Honestly, the way the US is headed I would be thrilled if so, her roomie is German and they could escape if need be.

Good advice so far! Don’t assume, don’t push, don’t ask. He’ll let you know when he’s ready. Or he’ll just bring someone home to introduce to you.

Don't just assume that he knows you would accept him - make sure in no uncertain terms that he knows. Parents tend to see themselves as much more open minded than their kids believe them to be.

GwenC Level 7 Dec 19, 2018

Very very good point. See my response to @AnneWimsey below. I have stated in no uncertain terms many times over, and I hope the example I project in my relationships with others in my life supports that in his mind.

He may or may not trying to figure this out himself, and "pushing" any teenager, at any time, is Never a good idea unless drugs/death is involved. Plus, many, many quite straight men have effeminate characteristics, so no concluding without his confirmation!
Di you know of any gay people you could casually discuss with him, in an off-hand fashion. (Even from pop culture) And just happen to mention how their parents & friends just want them to be happy? So you are Not talking directly about him?

I'm far from conclusion, that's for sure, and I would never push the issue not knowing. We actually have a lot of people in our life that fit that bill. Neighbors, good friends, family... we share the same hair stylist who happens to also be a close friend (and also happens to be openly gay). He was actually the first one to bring it up to me as far as asking me if I ever wondered about it. Two of my very closest friends are gay. He's grown up with Bill and Bret, our awesome neighbors his entire life. So we've had plenty of positive conversations about such things and I have to believe that would be of benefit.

@Amzungu2 Boys don't want to discuss sex with their mom. I'm sure this goes for straight or gay teen boys equally. The fact you have homosexual people in your life and treat them as humans that deserve basic respect...speaks more via your actions than any words could, including how he should be respected.

@jondspen If only this bloody tech would let me laugh at that and love it at the same time... thank you for this.

Just be someone he can talk to. When my daughter was that age, I just let her know that if she got drunk, stoned, pregnant or whatever; that she was still my daughter, and not to be afraid to come to me. She turned into a lovely woman.

Wait for him to tell.
Ever asked a woman when she was due only to be told she wasn't?

Haha, nope, so far have been able to stay on the safe side of that line!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:247683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.