Agnostic.com

14 7

Taking my PMP (Project Management Professional) test on Saturday. Send me your good vibes and such...plus, I’ve been studying. 😉
Next, to clean up my resume. Thinking about getting assistance with that task; any recommendations?

Sophialyn 5 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nylon or Satin???

Update: I passed!

That's awesome! I've been thinking of getting that certification as well. How'd it go!

Wish I could help on the resume, but I've been at the same place for 15 years, and they'll have to run me off at this point. Very best of luck on your test!

You will do great!

Great choice. Once you pass, make sure to keep up your PMI membership, it's a great way to get the 60 hours of CE you will need every 3 yrs to stay certified, for free. Make sure you put PMP on your resume and Linkedin profile, you will get lots of hits.

I won't say good luck, because I believe you have prepared yourself.

Is your project management in the construction industry?

Houston is booming. And you might say it gets warm here.

Hmm...good tip, thanks! I do have some construction project experience, also in technology.

Always have someone proofread your resume!

Also you local Dept. of Employment Services often holds seminars on how to write a good resume. (Free!).

good vibes and good luck

Break a leg! As they say in show-biz (my kid is into musical theater, sorry). You'll do well under your own steam. =] If your resume is longer than one page, you can probably edit it down yourself and, as has been mentioned, be mindful of spelling, punctuation, formatting and content. I hope this is helpful.

Good luck. If you are an experienced PM and have studied, you'll pass.

On your resume, it's hard to know as I've obviously no idea what state it is in now. I can say that @Dick_Martin is right as nothing turns me off a candidate faster than a poorly written resume with spelling or grammatical errors in it. Your resume should be 1 or at most 2 pages. Leave some whitespace and use a readable font. Focus on the last 2-5 years of directly relevant experience. Definitely get help or at the very least, get someone else to proofread it.

Don't forget to update your LinkedIn profile too and make sure it is consistent with your resume. Ask for recommendations if you don't have any yet...

Good luck!!!!

Resumes do one thing only. They are useful tools for "culling the herd" and cutting down the list of candidates for interviewing. After that they are pretty much only used to develop interview questions. So when you are reviewing your resume, look especially for the things that put you in the "no" pile. Misspelled words, obvious date contradictions, references like "Joe, bartender at Louie's Bar," smudges, wrinkled paper, and bad grammar. It's the little stupid things that put you in the "No" pile.

Good Luck!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.