Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK U.S. Child Gun Deaths: Firearms Are Second Biggest Killer in America

As many as eight children are killed by guns each day in the United States, according to a study revealing firearms are the second biggest cause of death among young people after car crashes.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A bit off topic, but Trevor Noah did a good episode on America actually having gun control - if you are black.

This is an area that gun rights advocates have failed miserably. I have a put forth a proposition and haven't any takers: I'll accept going back to 60's standards for gun ownership if others will go back to 60's standards for gun safety and responsibility. Back then, we didn't hear the line - tragic accidents. Someone got shot, some one paid. People were held responsible. Self defense better damn sight have been necessary; a kid died, and parents or the responsible party went to jail for manslaughter or were heavily fined.
Pretty simple to me. Why people who love guns won't accept that gives me pause to wonder.
I no longer own a gun. Had my first one at 13. I'm here, on this site, because I believe in science and math. Statistics are clear: owning a gun does not make you safer. It is that simple.

I actually know people with a 10 year old who keep a loaded . 45 auto on their bedside table. The kids “won’t touch it because we told them not to.” I hope they get away with it because I like their kids. I have tried to find data to show how much more likely that gun is to kill one of their family than a burglar, but can’t seem to assemble necessary info.

When I was 14 my mom died. My youngest sister was 8. I remember Aunt Mickie was visiting, I think it was post funeral. Mickie was Japanese, tiny, but HUGE personality. Youngest sister played in the parents bedroom as she missed our mom like hell. Well, dad had an antique gun on the dresser and he caught sister touching it, and went apeshit on her. Dad was abusive anyway. Well tiny Mickie went apeshit on dad, asked him what kind of dumb ass left a gun where a child could reach it. She read him the riot act and was not the least bit quiet about it. Mickie became my hero that day. She already was but that day she was magnificent. And the gun was locked away and sister went back to her vigil in the bedroom.

BTW, I am the queen of Google. I love a good search. For your friends: [healthychildren.org]
[minnpost.com]
[vox.com]
[kidshealth.org]
[nber.org]

@HippieChick58 where is aunt mickie today ?

@HippieChick58 Great story. Aunt Mickie sounds way cool!

Fools. That 10 year old will be a hormone filled pre teen, then teen one day.

@Pralina1 Aunt Mickie spent her last few years being cared for by her son and DIL in her home in Gurnee, IL. She would watch Japanese TV on Satellite, and her kids said her English skills started to deteriorate. Her DIL did not speak any Japanese, though her son did speak some. She passed on quietly a few years ago.

@HippieChick58 u got me on " cared by her son ". I just knew it . Thank u for reply ♥️♥️♥️

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:249089
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.