Agnostic.com

13 2

Online Employment - Community's Experiences

Look, this is just casting a wide net which may or may not yield responses.

It obvious to me that this is a very broad and experienced community working in a diverse fields, and tech savvy I suspect.Its also a community where people share and suggest.

So, I'm interested in members' comments, suggestions, recommendations about working online, in what ever areas that might be, be it teaching, writing, research, editing, marketing, services, professional support, you name it.

I ask because I myself work in online teaching, English for adults, business and professional people, using an internet learning platform, and telephone and Skype for instruction. I've been doing it for a long time, got in early on it, and I'm good at it (well all the feedback tells me that.) But in truth I could do it my sleep, and it doesn't motivate and inspire me in the way I would like to be, so I, wondering about doing other things. I like working this way and would like to continue but more broadly. There are a lot of so called online work opportunities out there, but separating spam and hoax from genuine work is the key.

So if anyone has recommendations or experiences you'd like to share, I'd be interested. Likewise, if anyone is interested in the details of what I do I'd be happy to provide those, by message for example.

Thanks a lot.

Perhaps there should be a category here called 'Employment'. (I put it in Academic but not sure where else to put it.) There are some posts about this subject generally.

David1955 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many people I know work from home, I have set up network connections on many systems to allow this but generally it is mostly safe anyway. I have worked as online help desk to Canada and North America, our daytime is their night so it worked well. I do my best work at home so it is great to just email it in.

Many people I know work from home, I have set up network connections on many systems to allow this but generally it is mostly safe anyway. I have worked as online help desk to Canada and North America, our daytime is their night so it worked well. I do my best work at home so it is great to just email it in.

Thanks for all replies. Very interesting to discover what other people are doing. Wondering about an employment category, or maybe a group for people to share on this.

Well, i'm basically writing an Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.

The big thing is, i need things formatted to Smashwords' standards, and need to find out if any way exists to add sheet music / tablature to Smashwords.

I've been an independent consultant in software design / development for over 30 years, and 95% of that has been full telecommute since the Internet became fast and reliable enough to support it, maybe 15-plus years ago. Currently I have just one client but I've been working with them for 10 years with no end in sight and have a sub-contractor under me. I attend an annual business meeting once a year and zero to two times a year I may pay an in-person visit to their east coast subsidiary. Other than that it's working flexible hours online using RDP to maintain software and manage systems on their cloud servers. All communication is via Skype and email.

I could to this in my sleep too but find it sufficiently interesting / challenging and expect I'll do it until well past social security retirement age.

I don't have a single magic bit of advice -- I'm in the right industry, and have been successful in cultivating relationships that are offshore-proof. I have learned how to communicate with the client in a way that they notice value in what i do. It's a combination of having their back and letting them know when / how I have it. In the early days I found that clients who are not stroked / informed in certain ways tend to feel like they're just writing big checks every month to some guy they can't remember what they hired him for to begin with. That's the business / marketing side of things that a lot of consultants and teleworkers fall down on.

Yeah, I would have thought SW design would have lots of opportunities online. Wish it was one of my skill areas.

I do website testing for a site here: [usertesting.com]
It's not a lot of money but it's super easy.
I've worked from home for over a decade for an internet security firm. Many companies are allowing remote employees these days as it saves money on office space, insurance... I'm lucky that I love my job and it challenges me daily.

Interesting.

There are tons of "work from home scams out there" just remember that no one is going to require you to send them money to allow you to work for them.

Also the old adage, "Too good to be true" is a decent rule of thumb to go by,

Very true. All too aware of that.

There are tons of "work from home scams out there" just remember that no one is going to require you to send them money to allow you to work for them.

Also the old adage, "Too good to be true" is a decent rule of thumb to go by,

I've yet to find anything regarding "online employment" that hasn't been a scam.
I'm not saying such opportunities do not exist, but I haven't found them.

Oh no, I'm working online in my own office, get paid monthly, all above board and I get to work with business people around the world learning English. So, there are opportunities, you just have to find them.

I have been thinking about online employment opportunities and wondering if anyone has any positive feedback about them? Perhaps we could have little forum here about online employment opportunities.

Great idea. Sharing info on this subject and related I think would be helpful.

I started writing when I was in the first grade, was published in high school, and went pro when my son was born 12 years ago. I also edit and format.

Writing success depends on many different factors like where you're published, which market you cater to and how well you do it, the quality of your writing, the effort you put into market research, and how well you promote your work. If you have expertise, your best bet for success might be to write a non-fiction book about it.

Editing is... You have to LOVE words, grammar, and punctuation. You have to know story structure, essay structure, 'whatever you're editing' structure like the back of your hand. You have to be willing to spend two hours researching obscure rules of punctuation. It's details, details, details, and you have to love it or you will hate it. You have to be willing to hurt people's feelings and build their egos at the same time. You also have to take a lot of satisfaction in helping people achieve their goals.

Writing and editing are my two most favorite things in the world, and I am so grateful to be profitable at them.

I have been thinking about picking up some work online but my skills are very narrow. I seem to be a whiz at proof reading and am asked to proof read letters the higher ups send to their higher ups.

Guess I'm pretty good at keeping my mouth shut as well now that I think about it LOL

I could teach or tutor but again only a few subjects.

Hmm. I'm a licensed high school history and music teacher, though i've been working in the private sector for the past decade.

I write music, i write Facebook posts of novel length, and i'm working on my second e-book.
I need someone who is familiar with e-publishing (i currently use Smashwords), preferably has at least some knowledge of music, and is looking for an editing / formatting gig.

Not big money, but a bit of scratch for an hour or two job, if you're interested.

You've just described me. I work with authors on everything from developmental editing to layout and formatting. I work in all genres, and I was a music major for a single semester of college. I'd be happy to discuss your project with you.

If the site could help connect people on employment and related, like here, that would be a useful addition to the site.

@David1955 That would be really cool, but I was just going to talk about his project idea. I wasn't trolling for work. I'm in another atheist forum where people so post job openings to other members before the general public. It's a great idea.

@Lysistrata no I didn't see it as trolling, I wish you well with all of it, and the atheist forum you mentioned sounds interesting. Don't know if can get that here, but as work becomes more online and globalised I think it's great idea if nonreligious can network on this as well as on ideas, opinions and experiences. I'm hoping it might evolve here over time and help others. Thanks.

@Lysistrata Well, it's a book about music theory, but trying to present things in not such a bland, dry way. If you're genuinely interested, shoot me a message, i'll send you the rough draft.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.