Agnostic.com

1 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This article omits a very important detail: this would only apply to those 18 to 49.

I find it odd that in all this reporting on food stamps, I've not heard it referred to as a trickle-up subsidy for the grocery/agriculture industry (which I presume is why it is funded through the Farm Bill).

From Vox, with the spin that the food stamp program does not discourage work: [vox.com]

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue's op-ed on the rule changes: [usatoday.com]

I would like to find out how "able-bodied adult without dependents" is defined in the law. Does this just totally disregard any mental health problems? Is a physical exam by a physician required to make this determination, or is it just assumed that a person who has not been officially found to be disabled is indeed able-bodied?

@slydr68 I find it difficult to believe there's nothing more detailed. I'm going to have to see for myself the relevant parts of the actual law. If the law is in fact stated as such, I think it should be amended to better define the term. We would never stand for anything so vaguely worded in a law about disabled adults. As the article says, there are a lot of people who aren't able-bodied enough to work, but aren't disabled enough to be regarded as such officially.

I do think it wouldn't stand up in court if legally challenged, if it truly isn't defined, and no provision in the law sets out a process for making that determination.

And there's no distinction between people without a car, they can't afford, and the distance they have to travel.This county is so large the rural population are often twenty miles from a work place. One way.

@freeofgod Indeed!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:251418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.