Agnostic.com

33 3

Guns for/against?

As a Brit we often get the impression that Americans are very much in favour of having a right to own a gun (or guns). Is this true amongst the athiest/agnostic community? I don't understand a good reason to legalise guns. What do you think?

• 20 votes
  • 39 votes
  • 7 votes
RobH86 7 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We've had this debate, no one has supplied a single coherent argument for gun control yet. Most that I have debated on the subject either bowed out or made false acuisations or assertions to prolong their embarassment.

The argument for sensible gun regulation (no one is trying to "Take away" legally obtained guns from responsible owners) is that thousands of people die from murder, suicide and accidents with guns. Can you look at a picture of the children killed at Sandy Hook and say that's just fine?

Wait to me "Gun Control" means keeping them out of the hands of folks who can't be responsible with them? (Also see "Storing your firearms so no one else can access them" ). 😉

Think how stupid the average person is. Then remember roughly half of the people in the US or even more stupid than that person. Should they have access to a gun?

I'm just going to answer all of these at once. The second amendment illustrates my and other American citizens rights to own arms. Innocent until proven guilty is the foundation of our justice system. If your defense gun is locked away, you're probably going to die. Stupid or not that doesn't negate their right to self preservation.

@jayneonacobb I'm fine with a weapon under a person's control. Not with firearms being left hanging around. Oh a reasonable person's control - seems we have to say that.

@RobH86 I do forget you can't fix stupid. But handgun courses are pretty straightforward? I guess if you can't pass the written test - you don't get access. - And boy there should be a psych test too.

@jayneonacobb How about the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? the right to life (My child not becoming a victim of some yahoo who happens to have a gun) supersedes the right for everyone to have a gun regardless of whether or not they know how to use or store it safely, are old enough to drink a beer, have abused a spouse, have a mental condition, or would be able to pass a background check.

@RavenCT my guns, and those of all responsible gun owners are under their control, within reason, all the time. My guns are locked up separated from the ammo, which is also locked up with the accepting of my carry pistol and hidden rifle. Which are either always on me or in a place that is inaccessible by anyone else.

All states require background checks to attain a concealed carry permit/warrant. That has never stopped a criminal from carrying a weapon.

@RavenCT that's controlling my guns, not gun control legislation. Nice try

Your arguments are unsound and because of that every mass shooting with assault weapons is partly your fault. Go tell the parents in Fla. that your right to own assault weapons is more important than their children.
This is my group and you are welcome to debate here as much as you like, just keep it civil that is all I ask.

@TerriCity I don't see the right to personal safety written there. I do see a right to self defense in the second amendment.

@jayneonacobb You are making a great case of all the counter arguments that have been used to keep the numbers of people killed in this country so high , in contrast with any other country that is not in the third world. The NRA has you well trained.

@TerriCity no, it doesn't. Your child has a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, as well as the right to defend their self with modern weapons.

@MikeFlora The shooting in Florida was unfortunate but why should we strip everyone of their right to own guns because of a few idiots. Mass shooting are well publicized especially by the liberal media but no one ever mentions the fact that your chances of being struck by lightning are higher than being shot by a mass shooter.

@MikeFlora Have you ever considered the fact that the gun control nuts will never be satisfied until they get rid of all the guns and completely strip us of our 2nd amendment rights. Hell 4 liberal judges on the Supreme Court think it’s ok for a city to have laws against you even having a gun in your own home. If that’s not in flagrant violation of the 2nd amendment I don’t know what is!

@jayneonacobb You do realize the second amendment was written in a time with muskets?

@RavenCT do you realize that the people who wrote the bill of rights were well aware that weapons technology advances?I they also had explosives, cannons, and a myriad of other weapons. Including a working fully automatic platform?

@jayneonacobb Sorry your logic isn't working for me. They could not imagine auto fire guns like we have now. - I lived through Nuclear Escalation and have no desire to do so with any other weapon ever again. - Also when something isn't working you fix it!

@RavenCT
the national guard is not a militia, my E-6 friend will attest to that. They are an auxiliary force scantioned and encompassed by the US army. He is not a full fledged citizen because of it. One of my roommates was in the air reserves as an E-5. He's out and working in the private sector as an airplane mechanic. He still doesn't have the right to sue the government for damages he suffered while in the military. That means he is also not a full citizen because his right to sue the government has been perminantly revoked.

The definition of a militia is an armed citizenry. Those soldiers, good friends of mine, will never again have full fledged citizen because of their service to you and your rights. They are eligible for a militia, but prior service is not required. Technically, by old laws that still exist every person eligeable for the draft or voluntary service is a member of the militia. Thusly granting them, the people, access to arms. Arms means all weapons and armaments.

The founding fathers knew weapons technology would advance. They heard of mythical weapons of immense power from religion and other fiction. They could easily comprehend wielding the power of 1000 Sun's.

The bill of rights was established expressly to limit government. You can not remove an amendment unless it conflicts with a pre-existing one. As was the case with the 21st and 18TH amendments.

The bill of rights aknowldeges certain human rights. It does not grant them. A right is an inalienable and unabridgable need of a person.

Enough yet? Yes, but your solution has failed at every avenue it's time to get a better approach.

My husband and his brothers were hunters , I didn't like the violence and was very concerned when we had small children . I asked him to store his hunting rifles at his parents house , which he did . I was 27 when we separated , and did not feel I needed a gun . Now I'm a senior citizen . I live alone , I'm disabled , I live in a nice but not ritzy community , but there are frequent thefts , break-ins , and assaults . At 72 , I took a gun course , qualified and applied for my license to carry , bought a gun and amo. , and put it away . Haven't gotten it out since .

I don't own a gun, but I am comforted by the fact that if a rabid skunk is in the neighborhood, my gun toting neighbor can come over and take care of the problem quicker than the police can get here. I am in favor of regulations controlling access to guns. If the kid in florida hadn't had access he couldn't have shot up the school. Some areas of america have problems with large predators and have a reason to keep guns. I wouldn't expect someone in Alaska to try to survive without one when a problem bear is trying to get in the house. Some areas here in Iowa have problems with coyote/dog hybrids killing pets and threatening small children. The guy in an assisted living home on the 5th floor, however, really has no need for an assault rifle.

Scary cat
scary cat
where is you gun?
scary cat
scary cat
why such a punk?
you chase the little mouse
fill it up with bullet holes
you hang his head on the wall
makes you feel mighty and tall
scary cat
scary cat
why you running now?
scary cat
scary cat
why such a punk?
you been chased by a little dog
too mean for your shotgun
dog gonna bite you in the ass
gun is empty, you are on your own
scary cat
scary cat
is not your fault

Adding to the commentary, here's a link to an article that may throw some clarifying light on the subject. It's about masculinity! Should this be a significant part of the conversation regarding the problem? [huffingtonpost.com]

I am a 71 year old male , live alone, not rich but comfortable. Where I live a couple times a year a trailer or shed will explode, meth labs, about 4 times a year a young person within two miles of here will overdose and die. Last week one block away a druggie threatened to shoot everyone in the house he was in with all his meth buddies. His buddies ran out ,cops, swat, medical units , firetrucks, helicopters, news crews were there until late in the day. He then decided it would be a great idea to set the house he was hiding on fire. Swat broke into the fire to save his dumb ass . He did not have a gun. He had already sold it to by drugs. He's now in hospital burnt bad. Two swat officers with burns to. Then nearly every day homes are robbed, 4-5 times a week . They need money for their drugs. Riding mowers, boats ,campers, cars, trucks, clothes on line, anything not nailed down. They like to hit on the old folks like me, easy target. DO NOT TELL ME I DON'T NEED GUNS. THEY KNOW I HAVE GUNS, I SHOOT HERE ABOUT ONCE A WEEK. if AND WHEN THEY DECIDE TO ROB ME THEY WILL NOT WALK AWAY . The meth house people now live in tents on the property, about 10 of them.

Read your post, and I see you are passionate about this. Sounds like there are some serious issue in your society, but at the risk of upsetting you, I must say you have not convinced me that guns are the answer.

Until we have a system as good as japans we don't need guns. We don't respect them I feel we lost our 2nd amendment right a long time ago because of all the stupidity around guns.

It is my American right , and yes I own many guns.

But is that a good thing and why. You do have a lot of gun crime over there.

not at my house, any shooting here I shoot back.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.