Agnostic.com

20 3

What are some of your favorite films? The ones that move or inspire or comfort you; that make you think or feel or laugh or cry.

bleurowz 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"The Best Years of Our LIves" which i've watched at least a dozen times.

it's kind of sad to watch now bc it portrays the US coming out of WW2 & all the struggles the characters faced but also the tremendous opportunities ahead of them. it was very upbeat.

just about the diametrically opposite situation that the vast majority of ppl find themselves in currently.

Casablanca I love old movies and this one was my late wife's favorite. I miss her every day. The Princess Bride & Mary Poppins these two, my daughter and I will watch whenever the mood strikes us. Star Wars the 1977 original with out all the additional special effects added over the years. I have a copy. reminds me when I was 11yrs. old.

Princess Bride; Life of Brian; Johnny Dangerously; Prince Caspian.

"Lost In Translation" is one of my favorite films of all time, one of the few I own on DVD. Just a lovely film about two people connecting. I also like "Once" for similar reasons (plus some great music). For comedies, my guilty pleasure is "Superbad" -- really raunchy, but hilarious. For classics, one of my favorites is "All About Eve" with one of my favorite movie quotes: "I wouldn't worry about your heart, Eve. You can always put that award where your heart used to be."

Oh, wow... I have seen so many really good films. In no specific order... The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Forest Gump, The Empire Strikes Back, Secretary, The Graduate, A History of Violence, American History X, Go, Michael Clayton, The American, Eastern Promises, T2: Judgment Day, Mud, The Homesman, Open Range, Unforgiven, Appaloosa, Ex Machina, About Schmidt, The Bucket List, Noble Fir, District 9, Gattaca ...and there's a ton more. That's just off the top of my head. One of these days I'm gonna have to get my DVD collection out of storage.

The Truman Show.

Fiddler on the Roof: The movie features a very ordinary man, living in extraordinary times experiencing cultural uprooting of many sacred traditions. I first saw the movie during a time of major upheaval in my own comfortable world. I laughed, cried and empathized with the characters and their various life changing moments. The movie obviously has religious overtones, but goes much further into the lack of control we all have when forces beyond our reach move to change us.

Any film that leaves me wanting to see more..The Greatest Showmen..Not critically acclaimed but I was riveted to my seat. A classic in the making.

Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman. It's so whacky, but deep and I cry my eyes out at the end

Kitca Level 3 Feb 17, 2018

Different day... different movie. I am 64... so many of them.... so damn many. Today I will re-watch "The Brass Teapot". Tomorrow may be "The Usual Suspects" or "The Maltese Falcon" or "People Like Us". Every day I am a new man with old habits...

Parenthood with Steve Martin surrounded by excellent cast. There is so much in this movie. It is touching and funny too.

The Time Traveler's Wife - watch the movie and read the book. Both are great and that is not always the case. It helps that Eric Banna is a big favorite of mine.

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai - Six unemployed warriors (plus a crazy man along for the ride) agree to defend a village from bandits for three meals a day - A stunning piece of work and at 3 hours + it still feels "short" Made in 1954, in Black and white, it STILL pushes all the right buttons. A Matter of Life and Death (1946, UK) the Suave David Niven is supposed to go down with the plane but doesn't - by the time Heaven comes to collect, Niven's in love and won't go upstairs. Marvellous stuff from The Archers (British director Michael Powell and Hungarian Jewish refugee Emeric Pressburger) pull off a film that works as a stunning 'comedy', a serious meditation on love and uses colour and serpia tone film AND special effects at least twenty years ahead of there time. These are just two of my favourite films

Having seen the 7 samurais... what is your take on the american western version... "The Magnificent Seven"?

@GipsyOfNewSpain I actually saw The Magnificent Seven as a kid on British TV and I loved it - Westerns were always on telly when I was a kid - but the MS lacked the philosophical dimensions of Kurosawa's film - the spiritual creed of the Samurai pervades Seven Samurai without ever being explicilty mentioned - a testimony to Kurosawa's skills as a film maker.

@Eltopoman It was for american consumption, you did not wanted to confuse the gun culture with philosophy about life, self value and truthness.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Oh Yeah - I agree - totally. It's almost like they willingly jettisoned the Japanese profundity for something infinately cheaper - Like taking away your three course meal and saying "Here - a burger will do you!"

@Eltopoman you want fries... you need to lose a finger.

I love to rewatch the Tremors movies series..so hilarious!
Every time I watch it I feel frustrated that I didn't get to be in that movie..looked like so much fun to make and I missed it all!

I consider myself a sci-fi geek with a heart, and thus my top three are: Solaris, Interstellar and Inception.

It doesn't matter how many times I watch "The Color Purple", every single time Celie is reunited with her children and her sister, I cry. As soon as I hear, “Mama! Buni samo dini Mamaaaaa!”, I'm weeping. Gets me every damned time.

It's unfortunate that this movie was completely shut out of the Oscars ... what was it, 0 for 11? Hollywood seemed to be saying, "Mr. Spielberg, you're great at making box office thrillers, but ..." Oprah's performance was incredible, as was Whoopi Goldberg's! A film that still moves me!

1. Flaming Star: By far, Elvis' best movie.
  2. Airplane: One of the funniest movies ever

Agree about Airplane (I haven't seen Flaming Star, will remember to watch it). On the subject of humorous movies, I could quote line after line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

@TerriCity I grew up watching Monty Python on TV in the 70's in the UK - Brilliant and way ahead of its time - I'm sure the bigwigs at the BBC had no real clue as to what these Lads were up to and just sent them on their merry way - They are actually a bright bunch of fellas too - Terry Jones is an acknowledged expert on 12th century history - he even did a series on The Crusades

Inside Out. I cried and cried.

From the last few years and for a host of reasons, I love Avatar.

gearl Level 8 Feb 17, 2018

To Wong Foo, thanks for everything, Julie newmar is always going to improve my mood lol. Or robin hood men in tights, or if I need some girl power the first wives club.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.