Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK I'm a chef, an author and a mom -- and I've been on food stamps (opinion) - CNN

Here's what I've discovered: You can work hard, do all the right things and still teeter on the edge of poverty. In the restaurant industry -- as well as in many industries in this new "gig economy" -- there are often no steady salaries, no paid sick days, no employee health plans and no maternity leave.

It's possible to work multiple jobs and still not have enough left for essentials like food. Or maybe you have enough for food, but not food and rent. We love to praise people for being industrious and "self-made," but only if they become wildly rich and successful as a result. What about those of us working ourselves to the bone but still struggling to get by each month? Why are we being shamed when we ask for help?

HippieChick58 9 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are a lot of people that need food stamps,etc. to survive and good to help those people. However, there few abusing the system for not nice reasons. Maybe there is way for people to get more what they need and scammers to get off the system .

All of us need to hear this as often as possible.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253378
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.