Agnostic.com

1 0

How do I redeem myself from being an asshole?

In 2017, I became an asshole. The Asshole of my community. How do I redeem myself. In a secular manner.

SeanBab 4 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

stop being an asshole. that's the only way.

g

@Gwendolyn2018 lol gmta!

g

@Gwendolyn2018 in our case that's literally G mta as we both have the same initial as well.

g

@Gwendolyn2018 stranger things have happened lol

g

@Gwendolyn2018 i always wanted to find out i was adopted, but then i'd look in a mirror. i am an exact cross between my mom and my dad. there is no escape.

g

@Gwendolyn2018 Yep. That is where the Jesus story starts, in fact most fairy stories.

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes, Oedipus is often regarded as the achitype, especially in post Freudian world views, because of the direct sleeping with his mother and slaying his father fantasy, it is said to include. Though Gilgmesh is certainly a lot earlier and I always thought that the Feudian view was overrated. But I was using fairy story in a derogatory and generic sense to include myths as well.

@Gwendolyn2018 It is true that many fairy tales have great depth, and many are often retellings of myths, ( Beauty and the Beast, is part of Cupid And Psychi, for example.) But the common usage of fairy tale, here in the UK at least, though it may be different in the US, is, to quote Longmans Dictionary. "A very improbable story." Which was the usage intended.

@Fernapple, @Gwendolyn2018 i refer you both to bruno bettelheim's book, the uses of enchantment 🙂) as for freud, he wasn't a total idiot. like many brilliant folks finding their way through uncharted territory, he got some things right, others not so much, and it was all colored by his personal experiences.

g

@genessa Yes it was only the Feudian view of that story that I was reffering to, but having said that, many would say that he set the science of the human mind back, more than he pushed it forward, though I am no expert. But he was certainly one of histories worst plagiarists and frauds, who was happy to quote other peoples findings as his own, and he completely misunderstood and largly ignored Darwinian evolution, which at that time was barely forgivable.

@Fernapple if this is so (and i have not heard this; can you elaborate?) he is not alone, but i don't hear people blasting thomas edison and refusing to use light bulbs!

g

@genessa I would have to spend some time on that, it is the distant memory of things learned at coll., but I can say that I do bash T. Edison and I always use Tesla strips. The history however is out there and I will try to get back to you,; if not you will surely turn it up with google.

@Fernapple i will more likely nap lol. but i would not mind having a lead into this if you can provide one. it sounds interesting.

g

@genessa Try the Fliess Weininger, Swoboda and Freud story, also if you can find it there was if I remember an old BBC documentary "Timewatch" I think, which detailed a number of his fictional cases.

@genessa, @Gwendolyn2018 Thank you for that, I love the way that myth and folklore hold up a mirror to the human condition it is always interesting.

@Gwendolyn2018 you started early. i was eight already when i read my edith hamilton!

g

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.