Agnostic.com

4 3

Does anyone else enjoy reading about the War of the Roses and the Tudors?

AnnaMD 5 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Wars of the Roses is one of the most interesting periods in English History. A great example of how hereditary monarchy leads to catastrophe.

I enjoy reading up on anything historical, ancient or modern times.

yes. I love Sharon Kay Penman's work.

I started her book on the Lionheart and I don't like the way she formatted it. It might be because I am reading on a kindle, but I don't like how she has one paragraph, then a little header or something, then the next paragraph and so on.

I am a total whore for that time period but I like my historical fiction to be at least reasonably fact-based.

I totally agree. When you are reading something historical, based on actual historical figures, do not try to embellish or determine what they were feeling. Write just the facts. Save the drama for the shows (the Tudors, the White Queen, the White Princess).

Have you read Philippa Gregory? I did not like how she wrote the books.

@AnnaMD I've read them just to be a completist, but generally, I don't care for her take on them--a little too over-romanticized. I think her take on Catherine of Aragon's supposed vow to Prince Arthur who she knew privately for about five minutes and undoubtedly never even got to third base with was probably the worst of the lot but I don't care for her treatment of the Woodville women, either. The Other Boleyn Girl was the best of a bad lot. My favorite is this one: [amazon.com]

@AnnaMD a really interesting series (great on audiobook) set in those times is the C.J. Samson Matthew Shardlake mysteries. Interesting protagonist and you do meet Henry and some of his Queens and courtiers. I absolute adored adored adored "Wolf Hall", too, although it's pretty radical in its treatment of More vs. Cromwell. I never thought any writer could make me fascinated by Cromwell and actually root for the guy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:255427
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.