Agnostic.com

8 3

Ok so I've seen from other posts that several members share my struggles with PTSD. My therapist retired, and I've been relying on just meds since then. I'm at a point where I need to go back to therapy, but I have some serious anxiety about finding the right one. I've had 2, one great and before that one that didn't realize I was suicidal until he had to put me inpatient. That's like a 50% success rate. All I can find out really is if they take my insurance. How do I find out about their methods without a bunch of random appts I have to pay for?

Mkonnick 5 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use MHMR (Mental Health Mental Retardation) for my Major Depressive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, PTSD and suicidal tendencies. I'm in Texas, though. Unsure if MHMR is country-wide or just native to Texas. There's also a website/app called mystrengths.com it was recommended to me by my caseworkers. I can give you more info, if you'd like.

Some good ideas here guys.

I have PTSD too.

Before you book an appointment, ask if the therapist specializes in trauma.

ask them if they could send you a letter of description or interview them. the worst that could happen would they would say no

I would ask whoever answers the phone to book the appt. what type of therapy does 'so and so' do? If they can't answer right then - they can ask and give you a call back. It's a very reasonable question!

Also you should be able to search by what method the therapist uses - online. Than you have to find one that takes your insurance. (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or???).

If you have a preference in therapy modalities you should look for professional organizations they belong to and search there as well. A therapist who keeps up on education and new things is a good choice.

I found an EMDR practitioner to be a huge help with my PTSD (after an assault). Make sure they are certified if you decide to go that way.

Good luck!

You might get some information about what kind of degree they have, e.g. psychiatry vs psychology vs MSW. You could call and ask what approaches the counselor specializes in. But I think it’s like dating - you can’t know how the chemistry will be until you sit down and talk with them.

Sometimes therapists will do an initial consultation for free for just this purpose.

Failing that, maybe email or phone?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.