Agnostic.com

13 10

Garbage, feces take toll on National Parks amid shutdown

This is sickening. People are acting worse than animals.

[msn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was very sad to hear that another major problem which is hitting the US national parks under the shutdown is straightforward vandalism and destructiveness - cutting down and damaging trees and other features.

I heard a thought that we should bundle some of the garbage up, package it, and then send it to trump.

Most of the deep woods campers are pretty good about clean up. But, likewise, I've noticed the majority of campers who stay closer to civilization are slobs and act like the places are hotels with limited room service.

I'll never forget the look on my friends face when we were preparing for a wilderness hike and described to him what a kitty hole was.

He adapted well, though.

The reality is easier than the initial aversion to the idea.

@BufftonBeotch our school i tauggt in used to take middle schoolers "camping" at an outdoor adventure retreat with fairly primitive facilities. One year the female gym teacher went as a chaperone. She wanted to know where the shower was and where she could plug in her hair dryer.

When they said the parks would stay open, I was surprised. Cops are probably busier around them. Here in Gettysburg the bathrooms are closed (No big deal in this tourist burg) and a local friends of the park group is organizing to dump trash and clean up. I'll refrain from cynicism as the members really do care about the history, even as their sponsors are local businesses.

People technically are animals... religion just makes them think they're separate from the rest, I guess.

Garbage and Feces -- otherwise known as the president and vice-president of the USA.

That would be feces and garbage.

@Beowulfsfriend Yeah, it pretty much works either way.

It's a true representation of these times.

I remember my first hiking in this country after coming from Canada. I couldn't believe the garbage strewn around.

Heck... Trump will probably end up leasing the parks out to the oil and gas companies anyway. Garbage and feces will be the last of your worries then! I cannot believe they left the parks open!

He has already reduced some federal land for just that purpose.

Agree. The closed the Smithsonian and the National Zoo. Though people will still have to care for the animals, of course.

I think people who are trashing the parks and monuments are people that would not usually go.
I think they are going to the parks for the intent of trashing them.
I can't imagine the usual park patrons that love the parks and nature to behave in such a way.

I routinely gear up with my NoCry™ gloves and a large garbage bad and patrol my street and the alley behind it. I pick up and bag litter. Kids (or adults) like to park in the alley, drink their beer and then toss the empties into the alley. Not behind my house; I turn the floodlights on them. Anyway, the most common items of litter are beer cans and bottles, airplane vodka bottles, and Jehovah Witnesses religious tracks. I also live fairly close to a McDonalds, so that stuff is often tossed out of the window into the street. Having said all of that, this community and area is much better with regards to not littering than any other place I have lived. The biggest source of litter, however, is the wind, which sometimes blows at near hurricane force when the chinook comes down the mountain.

@GuyKeith

Good for you! I am the only person in my neighborhood picks up litter. In my pack I carry plastic grocery bags, to clean up litter while hiking.

Litter attracts litter.

Do these gloves you mentioned protect you from getting cut?

@BufftonBeotch Yes. That is the actual brand name. I bought them because I do a lot of BBQ and trimming with very sharp knives.

They should have been locked down as much as possible.

Yuck!

I always work on the principle of what I take in I take out, as regards "solid human waste" then well away from sensitive areas and bury if no other alternative is available! Too many people are too lazy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:257644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.