Agnostic.com

5 1

How to help a loved one get over the end of a friendship?

So a friend of mine, recently ended a friendship (non-romantic) and there was no closure in it. This friend accepted fault in the failure of the friendship, but the other person refused to accept fault and just cut them (and by extension all of their extended friends) out. So there is no peaceful ending to this which sucks.

Yes, I know - stay in my lane and let the friendship fallout be what it is, but after talking with them, they are in a serious disarray emotionally. Besides just keep talking to them and allow them space to work things out, what else should I do? Go do stuff? Tell them to eff that person?

All advice is appreciated. TIA.

Chilton704 5 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best thing you can do is be a caring listening ear. Being cut off by a friend is just as painful as any other breakup, and someone who's hurting just needs understanding and support.

Take them out to lunch. Let them know they are still appreciated, and that one friendship is not the end of the world.

Seems like you are already doing all you can.

All you can do is be there and be a friend. Relationships are complicated and are really between the two parties. IMO getting involved can end badly.

I would try to get them to do some activities or go to the movies with me to take their mind off of the hurt for a little while. & just show them that I am a loyal friend who will never leave, in any way I could think of.

Carin Level 8 Jan 4, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:258246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.