Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK BBC NEWS | UK | Atheists call for 'debaptism'.

How many of us are willing to make a statement for our non-beliefs? Go to De-baptism and find a lot of certificates. Print and fill it out and proudly hang it on your wall.
[agnostic.com]

JackPedigo 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was never Christened, thankfully, nor were my children. My ex's second wife tried to get them Christened when she Christened their daughter but I was not having that.

Thats bloody daft

Is that good or bad or just silly?

@JackPedigo erm absurd, preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, risible; idiotic, stupid, foolish, foolhardy, unwise, imprudent, ill-conceived, silly, inane, puerile, infantile, fatuous, imbecilic, hare-brained, half-baked; unreasonable, irrational, illogical, nonsensical, pointless, senseless, impracticable, unworkable, unrealistic; peculiar, odd, strange, queer, weird, eccentric, bizarre, fantastic, incongruous, grotesque

Doing stuff like this just gives them validity to their religious ways and beliefs.
Doing such just gives weight that their ways mean something, They don't.
The best thing is to just walk away, and say no more about it.

In my case, see below, walking away didn't work.

As a bit of fun it's great idea. As a serious issue what's the point?

Personally this seems silly to me. Something akin to giving all your present back to Santa.
Church is foremost a social outlet for us. Even an adult Santa for some and charades for others.
We can grow. but the past is alway, just the past.

mzee Level 7 Jan 7, 2019

I was ex-communicated....does that count?

How did you manage that? I'd love to take my name off the Catholic registry...

@Nottheonlyone No matter where I lived after my marriage, I had the morons (mormons) chasing me down with phone calls, & the bishop with minions showing up at the door to make me go to church, until my husband threatened them with the police.

Then I got a letter to show up at a ''kangaroo'' court, with witnesses to state why I should retain my membership.....I didn't show up of course.

Next letter was the ex-communication notice, & the announcements made in the church on a few Sundays as far as I understand. This is how mother found out, but it didn't break my heart as she knew for years I wasn't the least bit interested in the bloody church.

There is a way of cancelling catholic church membership...but you'd have to hunt it up online as I can't remember the details from other people who've done it.

wow...I never even got a phone call...I just figured once they thought they had you, you would be with them forever...I did go to the Vatican to visit as a tourist and didn't burst into flame...I thought that was a good sign...

@thinktwice I had the jerk pounding on the door, as well as the living room window, which could be reached from the front porch, on more than one occasion.

I quit going at age 17, & had been married for nearly 7 years by the time this was done.

@Lilac-Jade religious harassment...how horrible for you! They are relentless...

@thinktwice They only left on threat of calling the police. I often wonder if they would have broken the door or the window.

@Lilac-Jade sounds almost like a very scary movie!!! just wow! I can't believe you are this calm telling it!

@thinktwice Royally pissed at the time but this was when I was 24, & just had my second baby. Am 72 in a few weeks, so it fades.

@Lilac-Jade To me you are lucky. I would love to get excommunicated and even got into a writing debate with the local archbishop. No such luck.

@JackPedigo No regrets, but the behaviour did scare me a bit.

@Lilac-Jade All that in BC?

@JackPedigo Yeah, but what's BC got to do with it? Nutters can be anywhere.

@Lilac-Jade But in such numbers and strength. Here they are a tiny minority and keep a low profile.

@Lilac-Jade Good for you!! I feel like I once looked into getting excommunicated from the Catholic Church, but I seem to remember it wasn't something you could just do, you had to piss off somebody pretty high up the chain. It's part of how they keep their numbers up, by lying about them.

@Nottheonlyone Yes, but I have online friends who have resigned from Catholicism, but I can't remember the details. Info is online somewhere.

@Lilac-Jade Good to know. Thirty years later, though? Not sure it makes a difference.

@Nottheonlyone Apparently it prevents them from taking over anything against your will later or something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.