Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK Dixie, the country’s most divisive song

"Dixie" actually was only created in 1859 as a minstrel show in Ohio, which people tend to forget that minstrelsy was the most popular art form in the United States. White men in blackface, very often from the north, imagining happy enslaved people.”

JackPedigo 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe but if you really want to see something that was truly divisive and actually incited over a decade of hate crimes and the rise in the klans numbers that the original birth of a nation.

Shortly after it’s release this country actually began to acknowledge confederate leaders as heroes which is why about 90% of all confederate monuments were erected around 1915 - 1930.

I have seen parts of this film and heard lots of historical stories how it caused mas panic and helped the rise of the KKK. Thanks for the reference.

I hate that song too, but luckily, I rarely hear it. The two songs I really hate, besides other country songs in general, are the two I always hear sung at karaoke shows around 9-11 and the 4th of July, namely God Bless The USA by Lee Greenwood, which I call the unofficial redneck national anthem, and the Toby Keith song, Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue. What an asshole!

It was also one of Lincoln’s favorite songs and he was the south’s worst enemy!

Go figure.. There's always somebody who sees the same song way differently than others. Reminds me of that Springsteen tune Born In The USA. It's sad that many of his fans have never really listened to the lyrics and got the point that the song is anything but rah, rah patriotism but that's the way most of them act when they hear it at concerts. Got to the point that he was considering dropping it from his concerts because of the frustration with some of the idiot fans.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.