Agnostic.com

10 5

You cannot create a black hole by simply adding mass.

If you start with Jupiter and then transfer the entire planets of Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune onto Jupiter, it will become a very cool star, burning hydrogen for as much as 100 billion years. If you could dump a thousand Jupiters onto our Jupiter, it would become a star similar to our Sun, shining 9-10 billion years. Even our Sun when it runs out of fuel will become a white dwarf, never a black hole. Ten solar mass stars form neutron stars. It takes a supernova of a star that is 20 times more massive than our Sun to create a BH.

TheAstroChuck 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always wondered, does the supernova create the black hole or does the black hole create the supernova?

I will say this, from what I see in the math. If our sun is 1,000 Jupiters and it takes a star with 20 times the mass of our sun to create a black hole, wouldn't we be able to get a black hole from 20,000 Jupiters? Are we only looking at mass and not density? Like if you could cram those 20,000 Jupiters into the volume of 1 Jupiter, what would happen?

@TheAstroChuck There was a massive star scientists were watching back in 2015 that appears to have went from massive star to black hole without a supernova. That's why it made me wonder if the formation of a black hole could be the cause of a supernova and not the other way around. We still know very little about black holes and we know that when something converts to something else, there is typically a release of energy. I think it's possible that when a black hole is formed, it also releases a massive amount of energy at the time of formation in the form of a supernova. Said star that went from star to black hole without a supernova might have had just enough mass to form a black hole, but didn't have any material leftover to be ejected in the form of a supernova. A black hole forming from the internal pressure/density of a super nova is very likely as well, I just wonder if it can go one way or another.

@TheAstroChuck [space.com] Granted something else may have happened, this was what made me begin to rethink the whole "black holes are only born of supernova" thing. That's when I began to think it's possible that a black hole might form from a massive star, releasing an enormous amount of energy, and if there was stellar material leftover, it would be expelled in the form of a supernova.

@TheAstroChuck When you say we don't see the SN brightening, are you saying there was a SN that we couldn't see or there was no SN?

given the number of solar systems and galaxies it is no surprise that ours cannot produce a black hole. It is infinitely more likely that our system would be swallowed up by a black hole, that being said we have billions of years to worry about it. Maybe we could build a wall.

@TheAstroChuck I was referring to the solar system. Most galaxies, perhaps all, have numerous black holes. It is now surmised that energy can escape the event horizon, if we can identify what types of energy escapes we can more readily identify them.

@TheAstroChuck 20 years ago we couldn't find other planets in other solar systems.

Depends on your definition of a black hole. It need not be a singularity. It only needs to be sufficiently massive that escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.

Mass and time then. And a heckuva lot of each

you can try.

@TheAstroChuck Start at once then, what are you waiting for

@TheAstroChuck Ah, now you are showing your true colours, all along it was just about money.

Are you sure? Cause every time I ever attended mass, it was just like that. A swirling vortex where time almost stopped... every 'moment' dragged on and on and on... and gravity pulled my ass so deep into the pew I was sure I was going to collapse. 😉

That's a lot of energy.

Interesting info. Thanks.

Teach us more.

I always wondered about the opposite end of the theoretical black hole spectrum. You know those persons who claimed that super colliders would create a clack hole which would swallow up the earth. I always wondered how they thought it could be possible with cuch only sub-atomic mass. It just doesn't seem possible to me. It seems to me that even if to particles colliding created a "mini black hole" it would collapse about as fast as ti was created, if not faster, without enough ( or any real) mass to sustain it.

@TheAstroChuck Oops, only on reading your reply did I remember that mass increases as you come closer to the speed of light. I cna see that the micro black hole could be created and exist ever so very briefly, but I am still pretty sure the mass eoudl nto be enough for the black hole to sustain itself for any practical measure of time.

I will use this information to destroy my enemies!

I'm not sure how yet but it's actually really cool!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.