Agnostic.com

44 7

Hugs & kisses. I'm British. We don't do hugs & kisses when we say hello. Or we didn't, but now everybody does. My question is this : How do I stop people who lunge in to hug & kiss when we're introduced? I don't want this physical contact in public by people I don't know. Does anyone have any deflecting moves or gestures so as not to offend but also not to receive such social niceties? There is a particularly "friendly" male neighbour who gave me a full-on hug yesterday while his wife looked on disapprovingly. As a single woman, I am of course assumed to be after everybody's husband.

GoldenDoll 7 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am pretty nimble at dodging and offering a cheekI dot mind people givin gme a peck if we are really good friends but don't like those 'iffy' hugs even from my relations.

How long have you been married?

Did you read my post? Or if you're trying to be funny, sorry I don't get it.

Use your knee? Applied with sufficient force to specific sensitive areas will make it clear you are not a fan of unsolicited gropes or hugs. ?

I don't even want to shake anyone's hand..eew! I don't know where that hand has been.

I prefer the Thai custom of giving a "wai" and, even better, because I'm usually the oldest person present, I don't have to greet anyone first, or even reply to a younger person if I prefer not to.

The sooner Americans dump the germy handshake custom, the better, and forget about hugging..I'd just step back if someone tried, or do a shoulder-hug.

There's a need to tap the refresh button sometimes folks.

I've seen the boys on YouTube having the time of their lives doing this. If the guy moves closer than your outstretched hand then turn your hand around and give him a backhand slap in the nuts. Then laugh. The kids on YouTube seem to be having a lot of fun doing it. Also It's hilarious to see a guy balled up laying on the ground moaning.

Just be honest and tell them it makes you uncomfortable. Or do iwhat I did when I was a cute young gay lad at 1 and 5/8ths meters and the tall guys liked picking me up... threaten to kick them where it hurts.

Juke them and watch them trip and fall? No, I'm kidding. I am slightly autistic and I hate being touched by most people. I put my hand out in the universal sign for "stop" when someone I don't feel comfortable with tries to touch me. If they keep coming I will tell them to stop and explain that it makes me uncomfortable.

I read about a guy who was practicing Buddhism. When someone came at him, with an extended hand he would put his hands together and bow.

The hugging thing has become normal on my island (which is shaped like Britain). I am uncomfortable with people who I don't really know and who do this. It's only when one gets a pat on the butt that one has to worry.

I am definitely not a hug person. Here in the US, we do what several others have mentioned - stick your hand out for a hand shake as soon as you sense a hug on its way.

Thanks for all your suggestions! X

A good karate chop to the trachea should do the trick.

Better hugs and kisses than "air kissing"????

Give the The Horns signal. Not sure what that is> Ask any 13 year old male.

I find a light but assertive slap on the cheek coupled with a firm "No" always works best.

Or blow a slow raspberry while maintaining eye contact. Say nothing.

Enrol in a martial arts course, as their arm moves up to your shoulder, side step, grab their arm and pull in the same direction of movement, with your other hand push their elbow up-forward then down, taking them to the ground. Apologise immediately afterwards blaming your time undercover in North Korea.

Do this when they come at you.

Smack em ound the earole.... That works generally .

This face does NOT encourage hugs, I seem to automatically freeze, people put their arms out and them take them back, in a scared kind of way.

Thanks but any ideas of how to stop it?

Razor wire and machine guns.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.