Agnostic.com

4 2

African American Athiest

Not trying to make this about race. Being African American Athiest I see less of us leaving religion and the concept of God. Why do you think that? If you think I'm wrong tell me how?

Dewayne5068 5 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This has been my experience, as well: people are less likely to question the value of religious faith or spirituality. My pet theory, based on what I observe in part of my own community (Polish Catholic): In times of Bondage, occupation and oppression, our churches were a big part of the struggles for freedom and liberation. It’s a double heritage that can he difficult to turn one’s back on. (Room for lots of irony here!) What do you think?

When you study religion. I have seen it do more harm than good. And when it came to being a bacon of light during oppression. It didn't come without its own selfish gains. Religion uses the need of community to get what it wants. It exploits that need. That's the only reason it has been around this long.

When it comes to African Americans. The reason in my personal opinion is, thats all we know. We don't know our original culture and at this point we are so far removed from it. We are having to create or own identity. And chitterlings we made it taste good but it aint good for you. Same with the religion they gave us.

@Dewayne5068 Losing your original culture and being very keenly aware of that gives one a tendency to hang on tooth and nail to an adopted one now generations old?

Religion can be used to resist oppression, and maybe they don't want to lose that. Look at the role of black churches in the Civil Rights movement, for example. Another idea is that the oppressed need religion, because it gives them some comfort or hope.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 10, 2019

Yea but on the other side of the coin. Religion help create the oppression to begin with.

I think most statistics and surveys would back your observations. I don't have an explanation, but most of the African-Americans I know well enough to discuss religion with have very strong beliefs in god.

JimG Level 8 Jan 10, 2019

@maturin1919 Stockholm syndrome?

@maturin1919 Most def a symptom. Even though where're not held physically captive. Where still haven't fully freed ourselves mentally.

You might want to join this group "Cult 45 Apostates" those folks will have some good insight for you too.

Thanks l joined.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:262454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.