Agnostic.com

17 1

Could anything you post on a site like this be construed as sexual harassment?

I don't want to be accused of that.

El-loco 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In our time and with the number of brain dead around us, anything said or done ANYWHERE might be construed as sexual harassment.

If I have offended anyone it was purely intentional.

If it is, it certainly would not be my intention.

Maybe it comes down to respect.

It's hard to offend someone who knows you respect them - even if you're being a total prat.

Depends on what you want me to be wearing when i post it.
OK, not anything, we are not that thin skinned, but certainly some things could/would be. I think there should always be a minimal level of decorum.

If you make sexual comments, especially graphic ones, to someone that has not actively invited them, or get rude in a sexual way then yes that would be considered sexual harassment.

CatV Level 3 Feb 21, 2018

Wow, you post a question on here and you get a shedload of intelligent replies.

This site rocks!

I believe it could...but wouldn't it be out in the open and others would attest to it as well?

I'll bet I could if I put my mind to it

i mean...if you send a dick pic, im pretty sure it could be

I don't think anything posted generally would be harassment. Direct communication could be, but the definition of sexual harassment almost limits it to personal interactions and usually if the subject is in a subordinate position to the harasser.
You can be a misogynist, chauvinist, or general scumbag based on what you post, and that's always subject to the opinion of the reader.

JimG Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

Absolutely, if something is crude or of a sexual nature directed at and individual. If directed at the gender as a whole it's just misogynistic. I've seen some pretty archaic and sexist comments on posts in my short time on this site. In general I chalk it up to there always being a few nuts (creeps) in a large group, but for the most part everyone seems to be respectful. I guess some people just don't comprehend there are boundaries in respectful discourse.

@Donotbelieve, yeah that's probably the best solution. I really do feel sorry for you girls, it's got to be a drag having to deal with the unsolicited advances, stalking, and harassment. It never ceases to blow my mind the extent that some men will go to get a reaction. I've seen in other posts about gals getting sent "dic pics" and such, I mean wtf, who does that? Not to mention the arrogant, pig headed, misogynistic, and combative responses from some (but not all) male members of this site.

@Donotbelieve , I apologize you are definitely women...no offense intended.

@Jackolope74 the sexual harassment has never been so prevalert as in the last 25 years.

@Freedompath, obviously as a male I'm not the one to judge whether or not it has become more prevalent, but from what I understand it has always been an issue. It has just been increasing known to be more unacceptable since the late 70's, and rightly so. What is crazy to me is the blatant stupidly of people in regards to this. I know for a fact employers have had to routinely hold sexual harassment seminars for decades and yet still people seem to act like they don't understand that it's unacceptable? It's sickening, and personally it makes me extremely uncomfortable to see it happen or be around people who disregard common decency. The whole "locker room" talk or mentality disgusts me. I know having daughters makes it even more intolerable. It just shows a lack of respect and times shear predatory behavior.

@Donotbelieve the problems with that are A) the person being offensive remains blissfully unaware of what it is that offended. This leads to B ) they continue the behavior with other people because (I think ) they're genuinely unaware of how they're perceived.

Most definitely. If the comment had gender connotations when the discussion had nothing to do about sex or gender. If the comment demeans the other's opinion and you attributed its lesser worth because of their gender.

Why do you think that just because we're critical thinkers, anything goes - that no comment we make can be judged as harassment - sexual or otherwise?

Or maybe, I've misunderstood the meaning of your question. What it suggests, word for word is clear: no comment we make on this site could be judged as harassment. Why not? I'm curious. What's your thinking behind this?

I seem to have a gift for offending people without being aware of it. I just wondered what the consensus was on this.

No but its common sense

Anything is possible ! Why, you got someone picked out to harass ? (grin)

Sure, if you mention someone's name and say you want to fuck them or something similarly crude then yes.

Or if you make a blanket statement that all women are good for is their holes, then yes, that's sexual harassment.

It's not rocket science.

Doesn't even have to be that blatant.

No, I think generalizing about all women is more misogynistic, and harassment is more direct. There is also discrimination which is a separate issue.

@JimG Good point

@JimG Agreed. Harassment is more of a personal thing. Say, if every time you posted, or got on here, one specific person made wisecracks, or suggestive comments. Or pushed to get your personal info so they could outright stalk you.

To be honest I've seen you cross the line a handful of times in the time I've been on this site. It's not anything you're going to get sued for but it certainly can be off-putting to women you're trying to connect with.

Lines are for crossing. I've got in trouble many times. In real life I might be more boring.

@El-loco you asked. I'm answering honestly. If you're going to get defensive and refuse to acknowledge others viewpoints I don't understand why you bothered making this post.

@Blindbird I apologise. Sometimes I'm out of order.

@El-loco sometimes I am too. I get it.

@Blindbird Let's be good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.