Agnostic.com

15 2

Has anyone had an experience that he or she can't explain using the science of today?

Example: out of body experience, dreams that are prophetic, Deja vu, or what Jung calls synchronicities (that are very weird). How do you reconcile your skepticism/agnosticism with these weird happenings? Or is it that science just hasn't caught up or . . .is it that I haven't caught up to science?

Hope4Zoe 6 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are tons of things not yet explained by science, but the beauty of science is that it doesn’t stop pursuing the truth. For a rational mind, lack of explanation is not a free pass to believe in higher powers or intelligent designs. When a strange phenomenon occurs, instead of : Oooo, that’s weird and scary, I prefer: Hmm, that’s interesting; I wonder if it can be replicated and studied. I do remember having experienced in my youth many occasions when I felt that Ihad already lived that moment. They were very fleeting moments of seconds. Now it hasn’t happened for years, and I know that the human brain is not really fully developed but until age 26 to 30, give or take. So, for all I know, those experiences could be the result of a faulty, not-fully-developed brain. Otherwise, why would it happen to me then and not now?

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy.

We, as a species do not know a lot. There are going to be things we cannot explain.

My parents told me a story of when I was young I would talk to my mother as if I was her dead uncle. I would even use his name. I also would talk about going home to a cabin they never heard of before. I would describe it down to the detail of the wallpaper in the cabin. One day while out fishing on a lake I pointed to shore and said "that's my cabin". We pulled in and they found a burned down cabin, one part of the wall that remained had wallpaper as I had described it. After that day I never talked like my uncle again and I have no memories of this event.

I never believed the story much until my sister was born. I was 9 or 10 and she was a year or two old. We were driving with my father and grandfather one day when suddenly my sister pointed to a house and started saying she wanted to go home in a happy calm voice. My grandfather turned to my father and said "So she does it too?" I found out after we got home that another uncle had a child that died in the crib at that house my sister pointed to.

I don't think it was anything more than a coincidence. That the story of my childhood thing was probably retold over and over and the tale changed and grew by the time I was told about it. People like to find things that they are looking for and then reshape the story to fit their own version of it.

I think there are a lot of things which we don't understand and aren't fully explained as far as ohw we perceive our experiences. Part of that is a lack of knowledge and part of it for some is an inability to understand the concepts and complicated explanations (some people are just too stupid to understand). Other people are "willfully ignorant", because the known facts go against beliefs on which they based their life and actions and they woudl look very foolish to admit a mistake, nto to metnion having to rebuild a beliefs structure on which the base their lives on.

Yes. Many years ago I was visiting local state park - Enchanted Rock. It looks like a dome made of granite. Stayed on top till dark then discovered my flashlight was not working so had to walk down the trail in complete darkness. It one point I came to the edge of the cliff - turned around and saw a small ball of light hovering few feet off the ground - about 30 feet from me. I started walking toward it and it moved away. It continued for some time - then eventually I found my way down and the light stopped following me. I studied Physics. I have no explanation for what I saw.
Edit: when I say "I have no explanation" I am not implying ghosts etc - but a stable source of light - of a size of pingpong ball- silently hovering above ground is not exactly something you see every day.

Great story! Thank you for sharing. Good to know that there are still mysteries. It's nice to let the imagination roam. (I'm sure there's an explanation for everything, but hey, sometimes it's fun having to scratch your head and ponder.)

It is not a question of imagination. I investigated the situation to the best of my ability and eliminated all other explanation. The only remaining one was that there was a ball of light - roughly the size of pingpong ball hovering above ground and reacting to my moves.

No, I didn't mean that you imagined it, only that it's good to imagine what it could possibly be.

This can occur when the brain gets deprived of visual input. On Alcatraz, they had cells that were completely blacked out, which they put troublesome prisoners in, The inmates saw lots of things that were real to them.

It was a bit to long lasting (about 30 mins) and detailed (I saw it following the trail and going in between bushes etc) to be simple momentary illusion. It was very dark - moonless night but it was not completely dark.

They can actually induce out of body experiences in laboratory settings now---no spiritualism, just science. Like Paul628, I also have a seizure issue, which predisposes me to experiencing deja vu. At this point, the way I look at things is, "If it happens, there's probably a better explanation than spiritualism. I just may not know the explanation yet."

I get Deja vu sometimes. I've also had a few out of body experiences. The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me, and didn't last long. The others were much more interesting. It's have to say how long they lasted... It was as if I was floating about 6 feet up, looking down and watching myself. It only happens when I'm playing music on stage. It doesn't happen when I practice. When it happens, it's usually when I'm "in the zone".

As far as reconciling my skepticism...I'm still skeptical of the idea that something supernatural is happening. I would guess I was hallucinating before I would look outside of nature for the answer. It may be unexplainable, but there's nothing wrong with simply saying "I don't know".

Interesting! Thank you for sharing. I personally believe there's an explanation, an answer for everything . . . even if we 💡 don't know it yet. Music does have mind-altering effects on my brain that's for sure. It's like love without the messy parts.

I've had strong feelings of Deja'vu several times, but it's been explained that it's a symptom of Epilepsy, which I have.
Just because science hasn't been able to explain something, I'm nowhere near ready to make the jump to magic.

"Has anyone had an experience that he or she can't explain using the science of today?"

Sure & seeing as I can't explain it I don't pretend I can.

"Example: out of body experience,"

I've had one of them but I can explain it: I was having a vivid dream.

"dreams that are prophetic, Deja vu, or what Jung calls synchronicities (that are very weird)."

Those are very easy to explain - coincidence. Wouldn't a life with NO coincidences at all be far far weirder than a life with them?

"How do you reconcile your skepticism/agnosticism with these weird happenings?"

Simple - by appreciating that things which I can't explain I can't explain so why imagine I can?

"Or is it that science just hasn't caught up or . . .is it that I haven't caught up to science?"

Either is potentially possible but if something can never ever be explained by science - which may perhaps be how certain things really are, then what else can explain them? Personal opinion? Why trust your own opinions if you can't support them with evidence? I wouldn't want to hold such an opinion. I'd rather be completely honest with myself & say 'I have no grounds for this opinion at all so I'd rather discard it seeing as it cannot be supported.'

Paul Level 5 Nov 1, 2017

Nice! Thank you. I once had a professor explain coincidence as the meeting places of a giant grid of interconnections. And we know that everything is interconnected.

I think there is a tendency to explain things we see so our minds fill in the gaps with things that are familiar, and we explain away coincidence as something more because we can't decouple ourselves from the situation (i.e., we have a subjective viewpoint and the fact that something happens to us seems more significant than it actually is). Pareidolia is a good example of how we're capable of seeing a familiar pattern in something random, so we're inclined to see a ghost face in some mist or in the shadows (or see a deity on toast). Our imaginations get the best of us when we don't have an intuitive answer for something we experience.

I see faces in things everywhere, from a tree trunk to a carrier bag. I find it immensely amusing, I put it down to my imagination and pattern recognition, nothing more. 🙂

Not really!

Deja vu has been explained, nothing mysterious, it just seems like it is.

My wife dreams numbers from time to time. Sometimes they come in. Over about 15 years or so, I would play what she dreams and, we're ahead about $400. The background is a "ghost story." My mother, my wife's mother, and my brother all died around the same time. I know my brother and my mother-in-law both liked pinochle. I know that when I was in HS I did a parapsychology project with my girlfriend. When I mentioned that to my brother, he said, if you find a girl who dreams the number, keep her.

Not that I can recall.

I have an acquaintance who consistently makes unsolicited. predictions of coming events that have an uncanny degree of accuracy, that even she does not understand. Normally one would expect these sorts of predictions to have a random 50/50 chance of coming true, but hers are are way higher than that. So, what are the influences affecting her predictions? I have no idea.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2674
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.