Agnostic.com

14 2

Can Science be the answer to everything?

Do you ever felt that one day, there would be a time when Science or at least, rational explanation will answer everything or anything about the cosmos,existence or the Parallel Universes (if there are). We know that science is the most profound emblem to unfold what's really true but, can everything be subjected to a natural cause?. What do you think?

Albert_Camus 5 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We will never know if science can answer everything. There will always be the question or doubt of whether or not there is something that science is not detecting.

No... Some things in life are subjective.... Like art!

I hope not, we will start thinking. I think it is like an onion with endless layers, there will always be something new to discover, and new discoveries will make for new things to discover. Text books will change, some things will be amended or corrected. that is the excitement I hope we always keep. Now the concepts and problems may be more and more complex, small and further away!

No, but it will always be searching for the best answer. Pi for example. It's an infinite number, so no brain/mind/computer will ever be able to comprehend it in full. That's why pi has worked its way into mysticism and philosophy. No matter what answer science and math calculate for pi, there will always be a more precise answer.

There are also philosophical questions that science can't answer because the answers are subjective. Such as the meaning of existence.

Yes, if one remembers that science notes when it has no answer to something at a particular time and is also willing to change its hypothesis on topics as new information becomes available

No.
It’s a nice (kind of facile) question like: will god take care of everything for us? I don’t really think science is out there to answer everything neither do I think religion serves that purpose for anyone.

The world is infinitely complex to be completely knowable. Like someone else here said there are lots of unknown unknowns - probably infinitely more of those than the knowns.

Is that depressing? Maybe. Does it provide comfort that the answer to your question is yes? Maybe - But then again that sounds like god has all of the answers. I prefer to think that humans are ignorant monkeys but there’s a never ending source of stuff to discover. I’m fine with a certain level of uncertainty.

Yep

Yes, Why Not??

Maybe, maybe not, but it is possible that one day it may answer all the questions that "can" be answered, and since most of the questions which can't be answered, like can we disprove god, are trivial and irrelevant, then why worry ?

It can only be the answer to questions that are asked. There will always be one more question.

everything? you mean why do fools fall in love? wouldn't it be convenient to know the question before speculating about who's (or what's) got the answer?

g

I can answer that. Fool's fall in love because of a hormonal and neurotransmitter response to the physical aspect of another being, without for a moment considering the practicality of such a joining (They live 1000's miles away, you are both broke, he is already married, he has a reputation for filandering...fir example)!

@Amisja i think advertising plays a part too. besides, science isn't about answers. science is a study. that means it's about questions.

g

@genessa exactly...I just like to be a know-it-all 😉

@Amisja lol we will never literally be that, no matter how hard we try. but it's good that we try.

g

Yes. Eventually, science will have all the answers as to how the universe and everything therein works. But it will be up to the individual what significance one places upon the findings and how it applies personally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267536
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.