Agnostic.com

29 4

Does your ideal partner exist? And, what is the possibiiity that your ideal partner exists on this site?

mkeaman 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think my ideal partner is out there, but he's not currently here on this site.

I think our ideal partner shows up when we are ready for him or her.
Trouble is, studies show that people are not attracted to the kinds of people they claim they want to meet.

For instance, people would write long lists of great characteristics they said they considered to be necessary for prospective love interests, then pick someone the exact opposite.

What the researchers found was that people attract, and are attracted to, people of the same emotional "vibration." That's why it's wise to be emotionally free of an ex before dating, or you'll just grab another copy of the ex, or someone as sad and messed up as you are.

I suspect one reason I moved to Thailand was to remove pressure to start dating again after my divorce in 2010. Nobody bothers me here, and there's no single person stigma.
Besides, it was while I was in Thailand, in 2014, that I realized I'm androgyne and partially transmale, which was what was messing up my other relationships, unknown to me. My male side resented taking a female wife role, causing internal stress. No wonder I hated marriage, even if I liked my spouse as a fun pal.

Ideal for me would mean that I would also be ideal for her. At my best I was far from ideal, and now I am far from my best. Short answer is no.
But I am willing to compromise if she is.

Being able to fairly and rationally discuss and work out problems puts one squarely on the road to having an "ideal" relationship. If we could be so understanding and patient and loving - one could be half-way there!

There is a quote from one of my favorite authors, Tom Robbins, that I live by: "We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love."
I believe we all, to one degree or another, have an image of our perfect lover: how they look, how they think, how they feel, how they smell, the sound of their laugh and what brings it out, how they kiss, their taste, the sound of their breathing as they sleep. Probability suggests that, among the billions of people in the world, this exact creature is indeed walking the earth as we speak. But probability also suggests that you have a better chance of winning the lottery than having that person's path cross yours.
But don't despair. You have only to turn the equation around. Realize that you already have within you all the pure and perfect love you will ever need, and more. What you are looking for is someone to share it with. Once you accept that, you will find yourself surrounded by beautiful lovers, none of whom are quite up to spec, but all brimming with that same pure and perfect love.
Not to say there won't be bumps along the way. But you've already got the love part sorted. The rest is easy.

Ludo Level 7 Apr 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26757
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.