Agnostic.com

5 8

The Boys are Watching

Men who are offended by Gillette’s moralizing new ad don’t realize why we need its message now more than ever.

Your thoughts?

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The author nailed it with her conclusion:

"When the message that we should try our best to raise compassionate children offends a large swath of America, there’s a sickness spreading that we desperately need to cure."

I would agree - but I have to ask: Who's "they"? (Men in particular, perhaps?)

@Santanaman9

Thanks. I edited my comment to make it more clear.

We need more ads like this, the more it's out there it's being heard by the bullies. I,m liking the timing of this ad and sharing it large as a tool to sell 2019 calendars. I raised 2 boys as a single parent who were abused by their mom. Through family councelling I realized their views toward women and girls was sour. I devoted all my time to my boys, didn't bring an overnight stand home ever or even a dinner date home.Every negative comment from them was pinched in the budding and explained as bullying.Mother's day I would buy flowers and a card and force them to visit their mom . Today I'm savouring the rewards of 2 respectful MEN and their happy families. My actions were recognized in the community and I was approached by the S A F E Families Neighbourhood commitee to be an example on their " Local men for healthy relationships calendar". We must spread the word BULLYING more, thanks Gillette

Men who are offended by that commercial in my view are kinda losers.......

Agreed.

This is like political correctness. A lot of people complain about it and think it is a bad thing. For me it means to treat others the way that you would like them to treat you.

@19dacar52

This wonderful ad is about teaching boys to show respect and empathy toward others. Teach boys and men it is wrong to bully, assault, sexually harass and rape.

"You look like a victim," a man said two months ago. "Because you are thin, you look easy to grab." As a small woman, this chilled me to the core.

Ever since I developed breasts at age 15, I have been attacked, harassed, forcibly kissed against my will, grabbed, stalked, sexually assaulted and endlessly catcalled by men. I have always dressed modestly.

Two male supervisors tried to rape me at the Tacoma YMCA and an insurance company. They overpowered me with their size and strength. Both men pinned me to the wall by my neck. When they let go with one hand to loosen their belt, I broke free and ran.

As a result, I have PTSD and anxiety.

My daughter was savagely beaten and raped at age 19 in college. The rapist attacked her when she was sleeping. Despite years of counseling, Claire, 28, still has PTSD and panic attacks. She wakes up screaming.

Political correctness? Girls and women are not safe in America, and it's worse across the world. Boys and men need to learn respect and empathy for others, particularly women and girls.

@LiterateHiker I agree with you 100%, I hope that you did not take my post the wrong way.

@LiterateHiker Thank you for bravely sharing your story. Hugs you are safe here. Xx

@Amisja

Thank you, dear. I appreciate your support and kind words. Hugs. Kathleen

@19dacar52 I agree with @LiterateHiker, too. I think - if we can migrate from a "male controlled society" to a "female controlled society" (with correspondent education and penalties), that would be a start. I also think that the appropriate culture for men should be taught - starting in grade school. Little boys inherit behaviors from their Fathers,their genes - and only by making these points obvious can they possibly be steered.
(I hate to hear stories like @LiterateHiker has experienced. Just makes me cringe - particularly because the offender doesn't get penalized enough, doesn't LEARN from it. And women spent their time learning how to avoid all possible situations. Women should be able to walk free in this country, with fear of harassment, etc. )

@Santanaman9 I respectfully disagree with the idea of a female controlled society. What I feel we need is a human driven society were all humans are treated equally and with respect. I think any group that has a hold on power over others not like them inevitably become abusers. We need to strip away all of the labels we use to pigeon hole others. The assumption that men cannot be caregivers, emotionally aware or loving. The idea that woman cannot be leaders and tough and kick ass. The idea that trans-genders are pretending or gays can help being what they are and what they are is unnatural. I hate with a passion the men and woman who are offended by this but they do not speak for all of us and I would venture they speak for a fringe of us men or woman. But even as I hate what they represent I understand why they are this way. History shows when a group in power feels they are losing grip on that power they lash out. This is not an excuse. It is a observation and a call to action. That action is humanity embracing humanity and moving away from tribalism. Moving away from revenge. It is not just their fathers who teach young people men and woman to be viscous either physically or emotionally. Society teaches them. Through popular culture that glorifies violence and anger as solutions to problems. That teaches young girls to emotionally abuse each other through manipulation and backstabbing. It teaches young men that their fists are the first place they should go or that a gun is a toy, a totem, a solution. I do not think boys inherit these behaviors from their fathers genes. They are learned behaviors. My father is a loving husband and great father who taught me to respect everyone and stand up for what is right. Violence was never a solution or acceptable. As a man I do still feel sometimes the urge to solve problems with my fists and I have known woman who do go their first. But I do not as it is not in my nature or my upbringing. I have been in the past physically and emotional abused by both genders. It sucked. But it was learned behavior all of it. We must teach both genders to respect and care for each other. And if we are to punish people if the result is going to be in any way positive we must isolate them to protect others but also seek to understand why they do these things so we may teach others or change ourselves as both individuals and groups in ways to prevent or mitigate such behavior in the future.

@Quarm I very much appreciate your perspective - and for taking the time to weigh in here.

I believe your perspective is superior to mine; more global, even more humanistic. I suppose I suggested that "women be in charge" because for so long men have been a pugilistic type.

Thanks again for your perspective. Being enlightened is something I always seek.

Only those who do not recognize the problem are offended by it...I think is it yet another corporation trying to capitalize on the current state of our society, but at least the message is a positive one...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.