Agnostic.com

15 1

Is scientology a religion or a dangerous cult?

• 0 votes
  • 32 votes
jchristian88 4 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not really either of the above, it's money grabbing racket

Obvious answer for anyone who hasn't be hiding under a rock for the past century.

@jchristian88 nobody said the government was useful or intelligent

IMO all religious organizations have some degree of cultishness. Scientology has a very high degree of cultishness and any prudent person should avoid their claws.

religion cult same thing some are more restrictive than others but follow blindly don't question = cult!

My legal esearch shows that in American Life religion is a set of deeply held moral and ethical beliefs. As a practice, the use of peyote was finally legalized federally as long as it was being used in a traditional religious ceremony. From what I can tell, the definition of cult is a system of religious veneration or devotion toward a particular individual or object. So I would guess the fervency of belief might turn a religion into a cult but pretty much they are synonymous. Whether it's a negative term or not depends on your definition. Pretty difficult to say that Mormonism isn't a religion on the other hand some of their more devout practices are pretty archaic and sinister, shunning people etc. So my answer to your question is both in some instances.

lerlo Level 8 Jan 18, 2019

I have no clue. Never met a scientologist , not interested in reading aabout their doctrines. I have to deal with Born Agains ( family) and Mormons ( I live in the county where mormons first gathered), that's enough encounters with the weird.

I think the answer to your question is simply, "Yes".

All Cults are dangerous, all Religions are cults.

Varn Level 8 Jan 18, 2019

@jchristian88 Yah, it’s interesting how the both the IRS and US society distinguish between such things.. I say tax them, as I’m taxed ~

There is, however, the secondary question - is there any difference between ANY religion and a 'dangerous cult'?

I would say that religions are almost universally dangerous, and only become less so when they are restrained by civilized, secular society.

Is there a difference between the two?

Have you heard of the concept of tautology??
Let me give you an example.
"Is empty space absent of light or is it dark?"
How about "Is Trump stupid or does he lack intelligence?"

It's a tautology to ask if something is a religion or a dangerous cult, Since ALL religions are dangerous cults.

a person is stupid if not wanting any education.

@benhmiller I once had a co worker, who had 9 kids in a one bathroom house, who never took a day off, and worked all the overtime he could get, ask me "what do you want to learn things for?"

@benhmiller Not necessarily. I think you missed the point here.

You should have a "both" option.

Same, same, no difference. One worship a God they never seen and the other lizards from out of space.

@jchristian88 I don’t think that either do pay any taxes

Don't ask me I think Catholicism is a dangerous cult.

Cult, I know a lady who lost 2 children because she left and husband did not. 25 years ago and they are still hounding and harassing her.

@irascible They will take you to court until you are pennyless. They have their own attorneys who of coursework for food.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.