Agnostic.com

14 3

Anyone else struggle with feeling socially isolated?

It may just be recent events but just wondering if anyone else has feelings of social isolation. I’m on different social media and work in the public but I just feel alone most of the time. It seems my phone only rings when someone wants something but rarely just to talk. If I do engage with someone I feel like an annoyance. My wife tries to help but it doesn’t fully help.

Giomar 5 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Often. My default setting seems to be alone (with critters).

Even though I enjoy being with some people, and have opportunities for that - I have to overcome my own tendencies to hide away ...

Have you checked with your doctor? This could be a symptom of depression.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 18, 2019

That is part of it, I’m already on meds for anxiety and depression. It’s just that sometimes if feels like more than that. Just something I have work passed but it’s such a long road sometimes.

It could be that the dosage needs to be adjusted. And I know what you mean about it seeming like you only hear from friends/family when they want something. Some days it does feel like everything is just an endless uphill climb. You're not alone. Keep climbing.

There are days that the only person to whom I talk is my rattie ratato roommate 🙂

Gotta say....at least you have a wife?

Found out today my wife is now wanting to leave.

Working third shift has gotta be the biggest contributing factor to this. Second might be worse, but only a little. You feel isolated, but ask yourself when you ever have real time to socialize. I don't know your life (or your work schedule) but if you're working night to morning, then sleep to afternoon, when are you supposed to socialize?

Not to mention, I've roamed them streets before and unless you're going knee-sliding across them super shiny floors in Walmart like me there ain't a whole lot going on in Russellville lol. Spice things up and head to BG, (or Hoptown if you enjoy feeling in danger).

It's hard being on a different schedule than most of the world. If it gets too bad, consider a shift change, or a new job?

Funny you mention Walmart since that’s where I work.

@Giomar Sorry about the knee sliding lmao

Nope...get up & put yourself out there! In this area there are at least 3 very active "over-55" social clubs and we are all short on Male members!

I live in social isolation and it is primarily of my own choosing.

I appreciate everyone’s input, it means a lot to hear from you all on this. I once appreciated the isolation but lately it has really been having a negative impact on me. I work third shift and that makes it harder to socialize but I’m trying to change jobs so that maybe I can have more interaction, as well as trying to embrace my polyamorous tendencies ( which I’ve not had much luck with and might be one source of feeling isolated) but it’s good to know I have a place like this site to have a chance to interact with others who understand.

I think a lot of us experience that, at least from time to time. I've found it helps to get off social media for a while and engage as much as I can in the physical world. To help take my mind off things when I feel that way, and to get out of my head a bit, I find it to be beneficial to help others (informally and/or via volunteerism) and to keep active in my free time (e.g., going for a walk, starting a personal project, taking an open courseware class online). The more isolated I feel, the more inclined I am to focus my attention inward, which intensifies my lonely feelings and makes the problem worse; breaking my routine in some intentional way to redirect my focus helps a lot in that regard. And the more I can involve myself outwardly, the more social interaction I tend to have, which directly undercuts any social isolation I may be feeling. Best of luck in forging your path out of social isolation.

I enjoy & pursue social isolation after years of not fitting in. I gave up & embraced solitude. Society demands certain behavior that I often find repugnant. You will find social interaction aplenty here if you want it.

Hear, Hear and Amen sister.

Yes. I used to depend on my ex-husband and his friends for about 90% of my social life. starting over has been harder than I thought. I'm not the loner that I thought I was. I go out to bars, work events, meetups, etc. Baby steps.

An excellent question! The answer is yes! I am both socially isolated and physically isolated being out on 12 acres in a private subdivision. It's beautiful out here but I only have guests every few weeks. I am picky about who I let into my world.

I make my living in sales. Cold calls are fun and I truly enjoy getting thrown out of a dealership (I work for a national lender that markets to auto dealers) or hearing someone isn't interested in my product. I usually then go across the street and make their competition more successful until they beg me to come back. I was in one such place yesterday... They threw me out 2 years ago saying they would never sign my bank... Now they are begging to sign and I told them NO! Anyway... My job is to meet strangers and I do fairly well at it. When I am on my game... I own the room when I walk into it. That's work.

Socially I am pretty much the opposite. There are very few people I want to hang out with. There seem to be very few people I can even tolerate for more than a few hours. If they start talking about how well Trump is doing for the country or "Did you hear what Kim Kardashian did?" I just roll my eyes and walk away. I can also be critical over trivial things. (IE, when someone says, "I know, right?" That fucking drives me insane!)

Both my parents have passed away... My mom less than a year ago. I have lost 3 Brothers-in-law (and their families) due to divorce from my sisters and my ex-wife and all her family (all of whom I dearly loved) 3 years ago. The sister who I was closest to my whole life suffered a serious brain injury after falling from a horse. She survived but is not right and never will be. I continue to lose friends and their family to cancer and other shit. So what is the fucking point?

My other sister suggested that I go to a therapist... Which I started doing several, months ago. I guess I am in the process of finding out more about my self and how I deal with things. It is nice to have an uninterested 3rd party to talk to.

Meeting regular people is tough for me for some reason. Perhaps I am too critical or maybe I need to meet more or different people. It's like my sales background... I hate prospecting for a sale... It is definitely not my strong suit. But put someone in front of me and I will close them every time!

It's always a work in progress!

I've felt like that most of my life. I believe it's a learned trait. When I was a kid, my family was not very socially acceptable and my home life wasn't very positive either. I think I really was an annoyance to enough people that I started believing I was to everybody. I'm working through it now and getting better.

Absolutely. A big part of that has to do with the way I think going against what people in my area think. Atheism, self-betterment, thinking logically... it clashes with the herd and makes me a social outcast. I take a 2 hour trip every weekend just to hang out with people I really get along with, but haven't moved down there due to my job.

There are times when I feel that way too. You're in the spot of being extroverted but having the feeling of loneliness thrust upon you. Why not try something different? Start with your home life. Do something productive but in a different manner or way. I don't know if this helps as I am not a psychologist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.