Agnostic.com

9 2

This fascinates me because they try to explain certain things that most here consider supernatural and not believable.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Anyone have experience with this institute?

RavenCT 9 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've had OOBE, astral-projection experiences, heard voices and I have seen UFOs. The first two were training my mind to see things that weren't really there. I worked at it. It's called imagination. Voices I chalked up to something like lucid dreaming and the UFO was something I couldn't immediately identify. I see no reason to see the supernatural in any of those things. The mind is a complex machine that we are just beginning to study and some of the ways it affects our senses makes things seem beyond what is normal. Attributing supernatural significance just makes things more complicated than they already are and hinders honest exploration into their true significance.

gearl Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

What I meant was could some become scientific phenomenon with proper study? Ah the wonders of language. I screwed up!

I'm not sure if you would consider this as supernatural or not. Back in the 90s I worked for a carnival. On the 4th of july, we had a chance to work with a lot of other carnivals at the same fair. One of the shows had a Kirillian photography booth and they would take a picture of what they called your aura and print it onto a t-shirt. They had a monitor so you could see, in real time, what the picture looked like. At the time, I was a firm believer in psychic phenomenon, and spent a lot of time meditating and making energy balls between my hands. I felt that this was my chance to prove to myself that this was an actual thing and not just another case of self delusion. I talked to the carnies running that booth and after the fair shut down for the night, I was allowed to try it for free, with the condition that I wouldn't get the t-shirt. After a few seconds of meditation, the energy ball showed up on the screen. The guys running the booth came in to see if I was holding a magnet on a string or something like that, because a strong magnetic field could damage their equipment. I made the energy ball a few times as they watched so they could see that there was no trickery going on. Then we did another experiment. I had one of them go get his girlfriend. They had been arguing all evening. When she came into the booth, it was easy to see that the auras were repelling each other. I had them remember some of the good times they had with each other and how much they cared for one another and the auras drew closer and closer.
Now is this phenomenon a psychic thing, due to it being a case of mind over energy, or is it more of a scientific thing because it was measurable and repeatable?

Yup this is the thing I'm wondering if any valid research is going into!

I mean I don't look at Tai Chi as bunk - so is there any good research? I'll probably have to rephrase the post and try again. I mean Tai Chi is good for health - movement - but there is also energy involved if done authentically. I'd love to see a pic of that!

@RavenCT so would I. But in your opinion, do you think it should fall under psychic or science? Maybe when you rephrase the post, it could be put to a vote.

Trying to amend post to read: "Anyone have experience with this institute?" ie real science study or not?

@Admin - can't update the post - could be a glitch?

Good catch on this! I updated the code so that members can update their posts for a few hours. Will be live in an hour or so.

Oh, for Pete's sake. Only Westerners trained to ignore all such things, or trained to mock them, don't know these things.

It's not that way in countries where such things are accepted, such as Haiti and Thailand, where many of my rural Thai students had such strong ESP they would speak English words before I could start to write them on the board...even when the students didn't know any English.

We are matter, which is another form of energy, and all energy is connected.

In Haiti, we didn't have telephones, so we MKs (missionary kids) routinely used ESP to call each other to make plans. My mom used esp to wake us up on the morning, standing in the bedroom doorway and thinking "Wake up!" in our heads, startling us all straight up in bed.

I used esp to control my horses, seldom using a bridle or saddle when riding, or using the lines when driving horses on a cart. I could even think to my Walking Horses which gait to use when pulling the cart; i.e. rack, running walk, pace, trot, etc., and they would change to the gait as I was still thinking it.

While driving the Daniel Boone National Park access roads in the horse cart with my husband, whenever I'd feel the need for a "nature call," the horse would already be pulling over to the side of the road in the field I'd just decided to use.

When someone's pet went berserk with strange behavior, people knew to call me, and I'd just pretend I could "talk" to the animal, letting it explain the problem and what it wanted done about it, then relay the message. The animals would be instantly satisfied, and stop the behavior.

I've always listened to the fur kids. I don't know if they know what I'm saying back? lol But I'm never quite sure what it is. I know my Grandmother was 'gifted' with horses.

I heard about a lot of family gifts growing up - and at least one of my nephews is convinced I'm psychic (He's 30).
Probably because his Mom (My sister and I) often speak in unison.
We find it funny and of course our minds think alike. (Also I've predicted the sex of all the Grand nieces and nephews correctly and it freaks him right out). <Only 5 so very statistically possible>.

But I do believe that we're energy.

Also that sometimes inexplicable things might just be stuff we don't know how to explain yet.

It absurd to think that we already have it all figured out.

I think I need to insert a note saying it's not that I believe or disbelieve - we've just talked a lot about what is woo and what isn't here. People are usually split. I found it interesting there is a place researching these things.

I've had an OOBE. I do not claim to know the science behind it - because so far "inconclusive".

Same with Near Death Experiences. Some folks here have had them - however it didn't turn them towards religion.

Also with various other things we term "supernatural" but which might someday have science to prove them.

Wondering if anyone knows how accredited the institute might be? Etc...?

Some folks here researched everything. I learned about the Institute in a novel.

The only thing you need to know about psychic ability is that James Randi has a standing offer of a reward (The amount is currently $1,000,000 US) to anyone who can prove that any form of psychic ability is really. For more than 50 years nobody has been able to claim the reward.

JimG Level 8 Feb 20, 2018

I liked some of the things he's debunked. However there are experiences people have that aren't yet attributable to science. It doesn't mean they don't experience it?

US government has done research into things we consider "Woo",

They also used magicians and illusionists to fight wars. 😉

@RavenCT those magicians and illusionists did an amazing job along with their fx co-conspirators.
I'm well aware of many things that can't be explained, have witnessed a few, and also know how reliable human observations and memories are. I believe most of the supernatural experiences are attributable to flaws in our senses. The rest may be our minds' tendency to fill in gaps with assumptions.

@JimG Yup I was a Psych Major - but I've experienced some inexplicable stuff too. But would love to see good research done on this when we know more about the brain - etc...
You know - solved in my lifetime? Often a fond wish for me.
Like ratifying the ERA for women?
I don't like sports but The Sox winning a World Series was on the list for my Dad!. 😉

@RavenCT It would be great if we could unlock the mind, but it seems every advance made leads to greater mysteries.
As for the ERA, I would like to live in a society where it weren't necessary.
I understand your father's thing with the Sox, I am an Eagles' fan. 😉

If they attempt to explain perceived woo naturalistically then it could have some value. I don't think that's their purpose however. They're trying to pseudo-scientifically "prove" there IS woo.

Seems to me there's inherently no way to substantiate the supernatural, as it's inherently outside the natural order. It's a non-starter.

I once saw something up in the sky I couldn't explain. It wasn't a shooting star, moving too slowly, and it wasn't a plane, moving too fast, and there were no scheduled rockets leaving cape Canaveral. I don't know what it was, but it gave me goose bumps!

Two of my friends had UFO experiences. It just means not identifiable.

I now know one saw what was 'probably' a Stealth Fighter going by the shape. She was out walking her dog and apparently had the hair on the back of her neck experience too!

The other was at a mass sighting that occurred opposite a 4th of July fireworks display. (About 500 people saw it opposite the fireworks display). Something that looked like spinning pennies?

If I ever have the experience I want to be with a crowd. 😉 I think I felt awfully badly for Richard Dreyfus's character in "Close Encounters". lol

Oh and both my friends - very science based. They just don't know what they saw.

Interesting. Learn something new every day, on what people do. Pretty woo woo to me. Must be some money in it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26864
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.