Agnostic.com

2 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hear a lot of opponents of common sense regulations say that gun control measures, only make it harder for law abiding citizens. In most cases, I think that's a bogus argument, but in this case it may have some merit.

From what I've read, this law doesn't change any current restrictions on who may buy guns, doesn't regulate the types of firearms that can be purchased, and doesn't give any more ammunition, no pun intended, to prosecutors in the courtroom.

It's a warm and fuzzy law with no teeth, and if there's any effect, it'll be to give more power to Chicago's corrupt police department.

Now, to be fair and forthright, I'm a gun owner and recreational shooter. I support measures that would make it tougher for criminals to acquire guns and punish those who assist them to so more harshly.

JimG Level 8 Jan 18, 2019

I supported Pritzker and would have voted for him but I switched my legal residence to Florida last year. I do not know how much this new law will do as I've always heard that the real problem was huge numbers of guns coming in from other states which the city of Chicago and state of Illinois cannot legally regulate.

What people never know is that the gun violence you hear about occurs in a handful of specific neighborhoods. The number of young people who will join gangs is seemingly unlimited. It's ALWAYS gang violence and innocent people are caught in the crossfire. When a shooting occurs outside of one of those areas, it's usually because a gang tracked one of their targets.

Everywhere else in the city of Chicago is amazingly safe. For 30 years I have walked anywhere and taken public transportation anywhere, any time of the day or night without hesitation. Frankly, here in Florida I prefer not to patronize businesses and restaurants where they post signs at the door, "Concealed weapons welcome." I don't want to be around the kind of person who doesn't feel safe to go to a nice restaurant in a nice area without being armed.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268886
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.