Agnostic.com

12 2

LINK Mississippi May Mandate Ten Commandments and Pledges to State, U.S. Flags in Schools | JFP Mobile | Jackson, Mississippi

The bill would require the Ten Commandments be posted and recited (teachers must lead the students in this) within the 1st hour of school daily... Those who object would be excused.

Another bill not only mandates reciting it it also imposes a $1500 fine on every school that doesn't do it... Plus add that every child and teacher must recite the Pledge to Mississippi.

DGJ0114 7 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh for fucks sake!!!

If it were not part of the U.S. Mississippi would rank below Haiti in education and economics. It would be a fourth world country.

Part of the reason Mississippi ranks the lowest in terms of education and economy...those who are educated and employable generally leave so there are not enough to keep such nonsense from happening after a while...the gap widens even more for that state to catch up to this century

When will people ever learn that you cannot legislate what you call morality and religious belief? It just will not work and it is not fair. I would instruct kids to say "mumbo jumbo" and go through it that way if it passed and I lived there with school age kids.

Jeez. I just moved here in November & believe me, it's already bad enough! One of my kids' teachers invites students to pray before tests. My son says she doesn't lead them in a specific prayer but just pauses for a while. I wonder if any of the kids pray aloud? If I wasn't planning on getting out of here in a few months I might bother saying something or asking some questions, since it seems a slippery slope to me if nothing else.

This place is pretty bad--I hear they are the last state to have the confederate flag on their state flag. It's really very primitive here--for example, there are railroad tracks all over the place & no arms come down when a train is coming. There are flashing lights where they cross main roads, but on small roads like the one right in front of my kids' school there are just wooden signs, no lights, bells or anything...really bizarre.

Carin Level 8 Jan 24, 2019

Do these people choose not to read the Constitution? This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard to be enacted in our country. These people never paid attention in history class to see how religion was a chain around Old Europe 's neck and how the people who came here came to avoid that chain.

@irascible That's quite an assumption.

Its Mississippi. Sometimes I wonder if we wouldn't have been better off to just let the south secede.

Mare Level 4 Jan 19, 2019

Is it to late?

That wouldn't be much of a loss. I can't wait to get out of here.

This is the type of crap a lot of MS reps waste time on instead of improving educational opportunities and reducing proverty... BTW the guy proposing this is a minister.

Infrastructure here is crap too--roads full of holes & the pavement breaking down, no sidewalks, overflowing ditches, unsafe railroad crossings, nasty smelling tap water...

You can't force people to take the pledge. This is long-standing law, same for displays of the ten commandments in public schools.

Yeah but if the teachers & most of the rest of the class are doing it, it's hard for kids to do otherwise.

@Carin sure, it's very difficult for the kid to resist peer pressure and if the parents bring it up as an issue, they get heat from the community. But one lawsuit will get it tossed, fast.

A state that is near last in everything you want to be first in but they have time for this ?‍♂️

Ohub Level 7 Jan 19, 2019

What do you expect. This is Mississippi. They're still stuck on the pre-WWII era. They will probably the last state in the Union to join the 21st Century and that won't probably be until 2100. Lol

apparently, you've never been to Alabama. I live here, and it's a daily tribute to religious bassackwards. Yes, I spelled it correctly.

@eric788 lol. I feel for you.

This is never going to happen. A few years ago a judge lost his seat for posting the ten commandments on the wall. There is a lot of precedent in the law for this.

Yeah but conservatives have been stacking the courts for a while now....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:269534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.