Agnostic.com

20 13

Soooo... It seems if I want to stay healthy I must leave my job building airplane parts. I love that job BUT my health is more important than the joy and income I get from that work. To their credit the company has been bending over backwards trying to protect me from the chemicals causing the issue with my body but nothing is enough and I am still having problems when I am there. I guess I need to turn in my notice and I had better step up my farm program and get rid of any animals not pulling their weight with contributions to the farms growth and bottom line. I also need to ramp up my bearded iris plantings on another farm north of here. Cross your fingers that I get through this next year in good shape!

misstuffy 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps this great opportunity you night not have intentionally saught.
In my experience, a full life contains many jobs, and periodically re-evaluating
one's emerging priorities helps keep you in the spontaneous present . Remember, the Chinese word for "crisis" also means opportunity.
Best of luck on your next undertakings.

I have had quite a few careers in my life, paper delivery girl, trail guide, stall cleaner, computer room supervisor, race tract pony rider, waitress, horse trainer, made and sold soaps, raise bearded iris, raise and sell goats, build custom aircraft parts. web site bullder and IT at work, always reinventing myself. In May I will be photographing a goat show.

Update:
My farm has a second home on it. My dad and his girlfriend wanted out of the city, their neighborhood had gone from the safe place it was when I was a child to homes being shot up by gangbangers with a kid across the street gunned down. They had to get out so they put a double wide in my west pasture. Ten years later dad is in a nursing home and his girlfriend has passed away. The furnace quit last winter so pipes broke and I need to replace the floor in the kitchen. I can fix that house and rent it to vacationers for a couple hundred a night with discounts for multiple nights. It is a three bedroom and wouldn’t take much to refurnish it. I wouldn’t have to rent it very many nights to make what I am making at the job. On my farm I raise bearded iris that I am replanting and I raise meat goats which ate the iris forcing the replant. I also have hayground and an awesome fishing pond. Apparently farm vacations are a thing with city folk. They want to avoid the expensive touristy places like DisneyLand that charge a fortune for day passes and get their kids back to nature to show them where their food comes from etc. My farm does need a lot of work. I won't be providing meals but I will let visitors access a vegetable garden for themselves and the house has a nice enough kitchen and will have dishes, pots, pans etc. I am going to give it a shot. Vacationers like to participate in farm activities so I guess I will get my tractor fixed and rebuild my hayrack, I can do bonfires and have an awesome fishing pond and kid broke ponies they can ride under my supervision in the arena. I will give it a shot but don’t plan to depend on that income.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! ( instead of praying) My son is in the air force, maintenance and he's told me how harsh some of those chemicals can be. I how everything works out well for you! Keep us posted!

I have already decided to leave my job, it is time to move on and I am unwilling to risk further health issues.

@misstuffy THIS IS A CONSTRUCTIVE DISCHARGE you ARE NOT A VOLUNTARY quit. ...call the County Attorney and if the jerk is a Rethuglican call the Iowa Attorney General in Des Moines reporting criminal conduct by this so called employer and his family

Since your company apparently values you greatly, seems to me they would have you train a replacement and then find other work for you there. Surely you could perform a different function that did not expose you to this environmental risk.

@Akfishlady from her post, the company seems to be doing everything they can to accommodate her. Doesn't seem like they want her gone, but I understand what you're saying. I used to work in IT for Intel Corp. and was laid off after bouncing around for about 3 years until they finally told me my job was too far removed from my skillset (after they had involuntarily moved me).

They value my skill but not enough to pay a decent wage. I nearly quit a few months ago because I had never had a raise in 4 years and was still making only $10 an hour and paying my own taxes. In hind sight I should have left then.

@misstuffy, oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. No one can survive on $10/Hr. Sometimes changes like this work in our favor. I hope you land in a good place where you are better compensated without the risk. If you have sustained permanent damage from this work experience, I would pursue that claim, as others have suggested here.

No they don’t want me gone and after I was ready to quit they gave me a substantial raise. My area is very rural and jobs are almost impossible to get here so as a result employers get away with crap for wages. I wear a lot of hats including that of the IT person here. The last issue was the wife let the grandkids play with her computer and the keyboard no longer let her type so I checked to see if they pulled things loose and when that wasn’t the case I did a simple reboot resolving the issue. They think I am a miracle worker. My best friend Glenn is an IT by profession and says I could easily make the move to that field. I think I would need a lot more training as the technobabble coming out of his mouth leaves me feeling like an idiot. We have the same exact IQ but I swear he is much smarter than I am.

I don't think they will be able to find a replacement, the grandson was supposed to take over the company and me too, I was a bit stunned by that but now it is a no go with this issue. The grandson has already lost interest. This business could be a real profitable business, I raised prices and the owner insisted it would cost us business, it hasnt, our clients are younger pilots coming in and are used to the higher prices that go with the times they were raised in. After I proved I was right all pricing was turned over to me and I raised them to make a profit and still be lower than our competition, I have ideas to take the process to the next level because others are getting in the business and I can tell they are taking advantage of the new tech to produce product.

@misstuffy vain promises of working you into the company future is reprehensible contrasted with the boss not immediately processing you through WORKmans COMPENSATION law insurance steps. ...call the UAW in Ottumwa and ask to speak with the RIGHT TO KNOW lawyer responsible for exposures to John Deere paint and other skin chemical toxicity claims. ..s/he probably knows many companies that fly your company parts

@GreenAtheist the plan to move me into ownership happened long before this issue happened, I turned it down, The grandson doesnt feel he can run the company himself, I do all the clerical work and make many of the decisions for day to day running. I am the one they turn to to see if we are making money and I set up a customer database and starting figuring out cost per item to build. At first the boss didnt understand why I set up these databases but they have proved invaluable and he insists I enter new customers as I have won him over

@misstuffy yeah....peeling skin makes it hard to type and polish products

@GreenAtheist the meds the doctor prescribed yesterday is already improving things

Good luck!

Just be positive and you will.

What you describe is a medical job site inflicted disability and qualifies you for instant Social Security disability payments 35% higher than your age 62/67 retirement benefit "earned" ....this is in addition to pension/medical retirement benefit earned. ....if any of these benefits are delayed or "contested" STATUTORY WORKmans COMPENSATION law applies to restore you to health and accommodate you with any other job site position at the same pay level until the medical causes are removed. ....ultimately this situation is called CONSTRUCTIVE DISCHARGE if you leave the job without full compensation from the employer's insurance company

Herein lies the problem with the company I work for. Ever since I started he insisted on paying under the table so I had to just declare the income on my taxes as self employment without the benefit of a 1099. This year finally talked him into doing 1099. He does things this way because he doesn’t want to pay for ---wait for it--- Workmens comp! Apparently he had a worker come in and in his words faked an injury or played one up and then proceeded to collect workmens comp for over a year. This was back when he was in the earthmoving business of dozers. This business is his old age hobby. On one hand he complains it doesn’t make any money and on the other, after I worked hard to get sales way up he came in after getting taxes done complaining it had made too much money and I am sitting there going “what the hell?” He does all he can to avoid paying taxes. This is the pillar of the community and the Church Deacon and also the biggest tax cheat in our county.

@misstuffy the Iowa Attorney General and County Attorney WANTS TO KNOW RIGHT NOW ALL HIS LIES evading the 1916 WorkMAN Comp law of Governor Wallace....I dated his great great niece who grew up playing under and on top of his historic desk he signed the law

@misstuffy FBI wants to know what federal taxes he has not paid. ...you are not guilty of anything following his criminal work orders. ...call the FBI in Omaha

@misstuffy do you know that the IRS pays a reward of 10% of recovered money from tax cheaters to someone who turns them in? Yes indeed!
AND to all of you who think it is smart to get paid under the table....not only are you going to be in this gals shoes, but when it comes time to draw Social Security, you will have cheated yourself HUGELY. Not to mention, what a great retirement plan your employer has.........

@AnneWimsey thank you Anne for further illustrating legal obligations and incentives for compliance

@GreenAtheist I forgot another thing...my daughter married a "smart" guy making "lots of money under the table"...great, until they applied for a mortgage. He had no work history, they only qualified for a mortgage based on her income alone.

I only like french kissing with someone I like or better still one I fancy. Adrian

I think this comment is attached to the wrong post. lol. There was a different post about this topic someplace.

@HighSteelRangr I agree with Arnies, I saw this question he is answering posted elsewhere and he just got crossed up is all. Happens to the best of us so be understanding and nice. We all missfire now and then.

Good luck!

Hope everything works out for you. Change is difficult but usually ends up being positive in the end.

I just need to keep the bills paid during the transition. Getting ready to sell off a bunch of livestock to pay off what debt I do have.

@misstuffy I feel ya on the financial anxiety aspect!

Best of luck to you! It doesn't sound like an easy change, but more importantly it will benefit your health. It'll all be worthwhile.

I do have a plan. Quitting my job is only the first step.

@misstuffy not a good idea to quit. ....call the WorkMAN COMP hotline in Des Moines and immediately file your claim then the law forces him to pay you full time wages whether he has insurance or not

@GreenAtheist He does not have workmens comp insurance and I don't want to rock the boat for him because he gave me a job when no one else would down here. This area is very cliquish and unless you are born and raised here or married to someone who is you don't get jobs no matter how well qualified you are, My job title and number of years in my position is worth something to me to get into a corporate position in DM as I decide to stay where I live now or move closer to the jobs.

@misstuffy your resume IS NOT TARNISHED by telling the truth about his company crimes and your silence could be used against you if any other victims come forward including his son could blackmail you

Sorry to hear this. It’s difficult finding a job you love.

The job found my ironically enough. I never applied there but they called me and I have been there ever since.

Hey good luck and I hope everything pans out good for you.

It will, I have a plan

Best of luck my friend. Yes, your health is most important and there is a way...you must adjust to something different thats all!

I am a farmer and I will simply adjust what I grow.

@misstuffy for sure...with your heath intact to pull it off!

I wish you the best on that. I am sensitive to many chemicals. Fabric softener almost killed me 25 years ago. I am very careful with chemicals.

This is a first for me as I have always been very resistant to most things.

Sorry to hear this, hope it all turns out well.

So do I.

Good luck to you !!

Thank you, I need all the luck I can get.

You may be able to draw SS Disability! Be good to yourself and apply. Note that they turn down first applications around 90% of the time, but perservere, when it is granted they send you back pay from the date of first application! Best wishes!

I have heard that about SSI the part where they turn nearly everyone down. I doubt very much they will accept me for a skin condition.

@misstuffy just one doctor exam is 100% evidence for all the benefits I mentioned above ....the doctor of your choice but fully cooperate with the company/insurance doctor. ....THIS ALSO SOUNDS LIKE A FEDERAL RIGHT TO KNOW issue of all chemicals present in the job site. ...WHERE ARE ALL THE MATERIAL DATA SAFETY SHEETS ????? $$$$$$ make copies of what is on job site then compare RIGHTS TO KNOW at similar companies making boat parts golf carts whatever the plastic or composite materials and manufacturing chemicals post. .....list all the PPE personal protective equipment used/required available by employer. ....time to get a good lawyer. ...your long career there entitles you to rights AND RESPONSIBILITIES

Yikes! Well, good luck!

Thank you, need all I can get

@misstuffy masks gloves aprons boots foot&ankle coverings eye wear helmets hearing protection. ...exhaust fans air filters and standing water chemicals on floors swept or drained into local sewers or streams

That royally sucks. You're right though, sounds like you need to get away from the toxins. Good luck!

Yes I do. The company doesnt want me to leave. I an the best CF fabricator they have ever had and they have told people I took their company to the next level. We werent shipping cowlings around the world when I started but we do now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.