Agnostic.com

19 5

Why can't I get over my first true love?

I've genuinely tried to "move on" and find someone to share my life with, but I can't seem to find him!

Did one man set the bar that high? Surely, not. I just haven't met anyone who knows what he truly wants: ME!

I keep blaming myself for the failure. He was willing to wait for me and I pushed him away because I didn't think it was fair.

The distance. My biggest enemy that I will never forgive. I will never forgive myself.

It hits me harder with each passing year. It's as though I'm grieving his death!

I know all I have to do is pick up the phone and tell him to meet me anywhere and he'll be there, but he's married now. I couldn't do that to another woman. I know I love him more than she does and that he loves me more than her.

One of these days, I will find another and love him as madly as I have loved you.

I'll ALWAYS cherish the song you dedicated to me. We've slow danced and made love to this many times.

Marc Anthony - You Sang To Me

SleeplessInTexas 8 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Been there, still am myself to some extent. Sorry. No words of wisdom here, many more have provided those below. This is the song that the former, thought-it-was-for-life relationship haunts. Lyric video, just close your eyes and let it flow.

@John-Paul Very beautiful song. I felt it all. Life sucks sometimes, huh? We'll get through it. ❤

Some very good comments here, I concur with what many are saying. I wanted to add some things... I know, for me, living in regret is very painful. We all wonder about "what might have been." But maybe you did at the time what you felt you needed to do, maybe you weren't ready, maybe the timing was off, maybe it was so many things... All you can do is find strength and understanding from the decisions you've made and use that to help you move forward. Maybe you need to resolve what happened with him, maybe you don't, but right now looking backward and lamenting is keeping you from moving forward. You've put this experience in a bubble that nothing can compete with. But you were also a different person then, and who knows what will happen in the future.

I think the first love often is the one that leaves the deepest emotional scars. Once you are scarred once, the rest seldom cut so deep.

Timing and place do not always line up and distance makes things worse. I am sorry to hear your feelings but I think the comments below are spot on talk to someone. I am fairly new to the site but one of the most refreshing things was that nobody is going to not do anything aka. "Thoughts and Prayers".
Controlling the mind and heart are never easy things to do, not because you are weak but because you are human. You have thoughts, you have emotions and it is ok to express them in a safe environment. I feel the most sorry for the other woman. Being married to a man who loves someone else more than she must not be easy especially because my guess is she has no clue. Moving on is never easy.
Finding new people to interact with, not just virtually, even if not emotionally will help you take your mind off him and you will see little by little it will go away. But here is the catch. Cut all communications. It is easy for him, he is married and "pseudo happy" but you, you are left waiting. Cut all ties, it is safer for you and when you do meet someone, it will be more fair for them. He will always be in your heart until the day you die, but someone else one day will have a special place in that heart too.

Based on the comments, you're doing the right thing working on it. Anything that you can do to get over it will make it easier. It always takes time to get over loss, and we all work at our own pace.

First don't be so hard on yourself. You can forgive yourself and you may have done the right thing, but you'll never know. Maybe something tipped you off that you didn't consciously perceive or it just wasn't right.

It's too easy to second guess after the fact. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt because sometimes being lonely gives one a slightly skewed perspective on past relationships.

Finally, you did the best you could at the time and made the decision based on what you knew then. You shouldn't blame yourself for not having the same understanding that you do now. Just be forgiving with yourself.

JimG Level 8 Jan 22, 2019

@JimG Thank you for your comforting words, My Friend. Means a lot. ?

@SleeplessInTexas you're welcome. 🙂

Yeet

I'm in agreement with the answers provided by everyone on this thread. I'm just going to add my support and say I understand and feel your pain. I'm not sure which is more brutal - love environment or the workplace.

There is an old saying, " We can't choose who we love." I couldn't agree more. Our minds know it's a train wreck, and yet here we are.

Talk to a therapist.
You've got to find a way to let this go and move on.
You aren't doing yourself any favors hanging onto this.
Lamenting lost love is a complete waste of your time.
Figure out what you were supposed to learn from this, take it,
and apply it to your future.
Anything else is detrimental.
Talk to a therapist.

@KKGtor, Yes, Ma'am. I actually have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow morning. This is one of those things I need to let go of.

@SleeplessInTexas Excellent. Hope it helps. Good luck.

I have feeling like that about a previous love. In my case, she has broken off with me, and I can’t just call and she’ll be back. That makes it worse in some ways. I feel rejected.

It's worse when you get ghosted. My relationship was going well. I helped her move into a new apartment . We were going to move in together later. She said give her a couple of weeks to get settled and she would call. Never heard anything. Called her up and she said she had decided to move on. After about a year and a half of dating.

I feel you.

All is fair in love and war.
Love is beautiful and all the things that hallmark cards say but it is also selfish, demanding and possessive.
You say that "He is the one and only" That no one else can or will do. That if you phoned him then he would be yours but you cannot do that to her.
Fuck that and phone him. It is your life that you are responsible for not hers. Also what kind of a marriage can this be if all it takes is your call to end it. Better for all to make that call and test your theory.
If he comes to you then you will have your love to help with the consequences. If not then some kind of closure to help you move on but to stay in emotional limbo is just a waste of time and we only get one innings

@273kelvin I've rehearsed myself calling him many times. But, I stop myself short. Maybe I'll see him in another life.

He's much older than I. If he ever died, I'd probably visit his grave often. I'm sure his wife would eventually find me there. I'd probably just hug her and tell her, "I loved him too."

@SleeplessInTexas Firstly I must ask are you sure? Is this real or partly fantasy? Have you constructed scenarios that fit in with your emotions or would he really abandon everything to be with you?
You say he is much older than you. Given that you are 41 then this is no time to wait upon a fence and wish. If you were 20 something then you would have time to waste, heal and move on but how long are you willing to only have the man of your dreams only in those dreams? Unless you make that call and simply say "I want you" then the rest is just conjecture. We like to play out scenes in our heads of how things will be yet in reality things are messy and far more complicated.
Have ever seen the film "Truly madly deeply"? In it the heroine cannot get over the death of her husband. She moves to a new home but still grieves too much for him. So he returns as a ghost. At first it is wonderful. They catch up, sing and dance but time has moved on. He is in another place and gradually she learns (with the help of his annoying habit of bringing all his ghost mates back to watch videos) to move on too.
Make the call or fold and move on. I know it is so hard but the alternative is a slow crushing emotional death and you deserve better than that.

It's not healthy for you to ruminate on this, do as the girl from Frozen says and use this song as your new motivator "Let it go"

When you look back, take off the rose coloured glasses.

When I split with my wife there was always a guilt there, and this made me think of her so fondly. Years passed, and every two three years we’d bump into each other .. and that bitch would savage me. Last time was a year ago, we split 20 years ago.

This time, and for all time I’m remembering why I left.

You too had a reason to leave, give it time to mature.

PS: Don’t play the song. We all have a B17. You’ll know when you can play it again.
Best. 🙂

I’m sorry for your pain and regret. I can also share, having been in your position, that kicking yourself over what might have been doesn’t help.
It wasn’t the distance; if that was the only reason, either you or he would have moved closer. There was a reason you didn’t marry him, and that hasn’t changed. If he were single now, you'd enjoy a reunion and then whatever wasn’t right the first time would show up again.
You can find love and chemistry again, but you have to see that first love as just that: the first relationship upon which you have grown into the next.

UUNJ Level 8 Jan 22, 2019

Break ups suck but the alternative is much worse. Your single embrace it. There are tons of fascinating people in the world. Around 8 billion actually. Lets say 4 billion for the gender you want another 2 billion set aside for age discrepancy. That still leaves with you with 2 billion people you can mingle and have fun with. Enjoy it ?

It is harder to face things when you feel that you are the one to blame, but you have to accept the truth is that we all make mistakes and that forgiving ourselves is the most important form of moving on there is. There is no act of forgiveness more important than forgiving ourselves. You have to teach yourself that your loss and the reason for it, are two different things which you have to deal with differently, otherwise they will keep on feeding each other in an endless loop. Moving on means accepting that these things are now a part of you and your history, and that you have learned and can grow to be better and stronger now you have more experience. Saying to yourself that; now thanks to my greater knowledge I am a far better more able person who can make a better job of future relationships and give a lot more to them, and therefore I can aim higher. Good luck with your search.

Maybe you haven't found your true love. That love the will eclipse all other loves

I have faith that you will.

Hugs be kind to yourself xx

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:271206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.