Agnostic.com

7 0

LINK Priest’s sex with teenage boy was ‘consensual’ says Vatican | Barry Duke

FTA: The Vatican’s apparent attempt to discredit and downplay the charges against McCarrick raises a “big red flag,” said Voris, who asserted:

The Vatican is more concerned with cover-up than the truth. Many are thinking that all of this is just one huge smoke screen.

He added:

Rome has no real concern about this issue, too easily adopts a ‘blame the victim approach,’ and is content to treat this scandal as just an ‘American thing’ that will be forgotten soon enough.
zblaze 7 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A priests' sex with anybody is against their rules I thought. What happened to their celibacy?

The whole concept of childhood / minors is that they are too immature and inexperienced and powerless to give informed consent. Beyond that there is the issue of the totally asymmetrical power between a religious leader and a parishoner, even an adult one. So it's a non-defense to say that a priest having sex with anyone is consensual, much less with a minor.

It's also ironic that the church regards a child as no longer a minor at 16 rather than at 18, even though local law says 18. I wonder why that would be? Hm ...

Catholics of eastern euro extraction are some of the most bigoted of any groups I have been exposed to. Growing up in the Chicago area, which has the largest Polish population outside of Warsaw, Catholic white boys were the most vile. We lived 2 blocks from the all male gender segregated High school. When it let out the neighbor hood would go into lock down as they were the most foul mouthed assholes around. When they tore the school down we began believing in the power of prayer as we had prayed for this relentlessly. =0}

Was the teen 19 +364 days old?

The crusades, the Inquisition, not saying anything during the Hitler's mass extermination of Jews, denial of science and God's cool with all that in addition to this. Yeah Right ?

I like your thumbnail/avatar/id picture

@Countrywoman thanks one of the last trilliums around my area.

It is worth remembering in this context that the age of consent within the Vatican city was 12, until 2013 when the current Pope was persuaded to raise it to 18.
Therefore under the contemporary Vatican law when they giving sanctuary to paedophile priest, those men had not within the Vatican committed (in most cases) a criminal offense.

Sick, sick organisation.

I concur. I also know that in this current age that Catholics will give out private cell numbers and email addresses.

Not to take away from the plight of the abused, but things like this make me glad I’m not catholic.

Nor religious in any way, Catholic or otherwise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:271536
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.