Agnostic.com

12 5

I am seriously considering building a "church style" building on my place complete with steeple and bell and maybe even someday stained glass windows. depicting atheist themes with the idea of using it as a Bible study for the non-believers. THere are those among us who are better educated than others in this area and I count myself as one of the others. I don't know the book as well as I need to and we all know knowledge is power in defending against Bible Thumpers, One thing they really hate is when an Atheist knows their book better than they do. Maybe theres an app for that.

misstuffy 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don't do it ....the fanatic believers won't learn anything in your "church" but a "steeple" big enough to climb inside could be an observatory and mount an electric windmill generator there. ...build solar electric panels on all the best sun facing rooftops. ...let them be jealous you make money producing more electricity than you use

Right now I don't have the money to build it let alone add the solar panels though that is something I have been wanting to do here for a very long time. Going through a touch time financially right now being sick with nothing coming in.

I hardly ever encounter bible-thumpers. I consider myself very fortunate.

I had some move in right across the road and they have already disappeared my dog and are on a campaign to get me to move out. I have been here since 1991 but they don't like my livestock op, they moved down from a somewhat citified area. More education is the only way to combat these people. I even found myself being attacked on this site in the very next post by Amazon Warrior. I was taken back by her charges when they are patently unwarranted. I'm just shrugging them off as she doesnt know me and is making biased assumptions.

What are your motives for building such a place? It sounds like you are doing it to be confrontational and in-your-face to people who do not share your belief system, and especially Christians. I think that is offensive and totally disrespectful. Nobody has the right to tell anybody else how to or what to believe or not believe. What if the shoe was on the other foot and someone put signs out on their property that were disrespectful and inflammatory towards people who choose not to believe? My guess is that your your response would be accusatory full of righteous indignation towards them. But by building something that is essentially a f**k you message to Christians and others who choose practice a faith, you are doing exactly what people who are negative and confrontational about your choice not to have a faith practice would be doing to you in the same type of situation. To show disrespect and disregard for those who choose to practice a faith but then turn around and cry foul when someone is disdainful of your belief system or lack thereof, is patently hypocritical.

Actually you are totally wrong. Part of my motivation is to rent it out for country weddings and part is to have a place for others who share my disbelief to gather for socializing and discussion. I am not in the habit of informing my neighbors of my plans. I keep to myself here and I don't confront them, they don't even know I am an Atheist and in fact none of my neighbors know. If they want to rent the place for their religious events Im cool with it. You don't know me and are making assumptions based on my wicked sense of humor I suppose. But seriously I feel the building could be rented out for weddings as an income source. The only Christians I take issue with are the ones like my neighbors across the road who make a big show of their beliefs but their actions are anything but. I simply ignore and avoid them. So before you call me such nasty names I would ask you what is the motive behind your attack??? Having a bad day???

@irascible I am no friend of religion but I also recognize there are those who are not whacked out because they are religious. In case you missed it I have the Westboro types across the road from me and it is not fun. The wife loves to harass me to no end and I am not sure where you get that I am supportive of religious nut jobs just because I have no issue taking their money to rent a building out for weddings.

@irascible Maybe so, the lady that attacked me above has my hackles up. WHat people seem to forget is I just love the architecture of those old country churches and wanting to educate myself with like minded individuals is not a bad thing.

I like it. Will there be snacks?

Yes but it will be awhile. My present situation takes precedence over my wishlist at the moment. I was inspired watching YouTube Videos of gatherings of other Atheists do something similar.

That might be more work than you bargain for! Bible thumpers are mostly very serious when it comes to that Bible and even their religion. I can see that idea (this building and service), twisted into an unrecognizable formate by the local people, when word got around and they might bring in reinforcements. Now, some kind of building to use as a study hall...say for book discussions including the Bible might work. I just wonder if society is accepting enough yet, for such a blatant display using contradictory themes?

An atheist themed stained glass window would just be a window.

I am a sucker for stained glass, I love the colors and I think a stained glass window without religious figures is an atheist window

I often think that I would have liked to buy a church. ACTUALLY, I missed buying one in the 70s... absolutely gorgeous and made out of stone.. another time, i looked at one and considered tirbing it into a gym and calling it "Heavely Bodies"

Love it. I love the architecture of old churches, I just think it is all wasted on a false god

Check out Unitarian Universalism sometime.

My friend Glenn has taught comparative religion classes in the Unitarian Church

It might be cheaper to buy an abandoned church building. Here's one in your state: [loopnet.com]

Thank you, can't afford one yet. need to get my income taken care of first

I'd do it; unlike most organized religions, atheist don't really have any readily available options for meeting and socializing with each other, no place of non-worship. It could also be like your atheist embassy.

I was thinking something along the iine of the old fashioned white clapboard with the steaple and two rows of benches, I could rent it out for gay weddings, piss off the neighbors!

@misstuffy I like it. I think it needs peacocks though.

@Mallux They are beautiful.

I dunno, the tax breaks for a "religious institution" are pretty tempting. I say go for it.

sigh yeah.

@SaintChris Well boys, the Christians insist we are a religion and won't admit to it

?? Why bother? I leave them alone and don't really care what others believe as long as they let me do the same.
I seldom see Christians in Thailand, and I also don't care what the Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists believe.

yeah but I can't get out the atheist get togethers but I can bring then to me, look at it as a mixer for dating as well

@misstuffy It could also be a strong turn-off, as it would be for me. I don't mind glittering Buddhist temples but most US churches give me negative vibes.

@birdingnut I can certainly understand your point of view. While I love the beauty of the buildings the preaching and attitudes prevalent in them is what I find reprehensible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.