Agnostic.com

10 2

Is there such a thing as a stereotypical atheist?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most atheists that I've ran into don't believe in aliens, or the supernatural. From the way Christians talk, atheists are the same as Satanists.

Not really. It would interesting to do or find a survey and ask random non theists to see what they would actually say about this. I would lean towards there not being any cookie cutter labeling other than they might have heard some extreme fanatical Atheists out there "preaching" against religions.

The short answer is no. The long answer is that agnostics/atheists are individual thinkers who maybe at any and all degrees of decision making regards their thoughts and philosophies, their ideas and attitudes cover a wide spectrum of thought.

Well stereotypes are created and assumed by the dominant cultures so yes, we're all liberal god hating aclu toting wusses in the eyes of the holier than thou muricans.

Cmy3 Level 2 Nov 3, 2017

In the eyes of a theist, yes. In reality, no. It'd be a lot like pigeon holing Asians when you have Russians, Chinese, Indians, Saudi Arabians and everything in between.

I think this web site proves atheists and agnostics are a pretty diverse group.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 2, 2017

Yes.
Stereotypes exist for a reason.

The question is a bit unclear. The stereotype exists in the minds of non-atheists. Are you asking, "Does anyone at all fit that stereotype?" Very few people indeed.

The stereotypical atheist is that there is no stereotypical atheist. The only thing they share in common is a lack of belief in god/s.

I very much doubt it, but, believers will be pretty sure of one - makes a nice pigeon hole for their arguments

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.