Agnostic.com

8 1

Are athiests happier than thiests? Explain why

I hear believers say all the time that it must be miserable not having god in your life. I strongly disagree and have found evidence and arguments to back this claim up. Yes we will all be biassed when answering this question, so please provide evidence with your answer. Thanks

RobH86 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think believers may be happy because they have a god to explain why things happen. This certain bad thing happened because it was god's will and he has a plan. I think it's sadistic. A good thing happens and they praise their god. They also find comfort in an afterlife, I suppose. But as for me, I find solace in knowing that we are born and die and become plant food. Bad things happen because some people are bad.

I don't feel a burden of obligation toward non secular organized religion in such capacities as financial support, attendance, administrative or just adherence to a doctrine/ dogma. That is not to say that being human is devoid of social obligations but being a socially responsible conscientious human is innate and easy by and large. Add dogma on top of that .....? It seems tedious! I'm already tired!

Uncas Level 4 Feb 23, 2018

I never was a theist either and I do think that I had a more stress -free life because of it; one less thing to be concerned about . I had a friend when growing up who took it all very seriously and believed, who had a very troubled time and was always concerned with whether here behaviour was O.K. or not , I think thats quite a lot of pressure to put on a child. My parents were not churchgoers and were not religious so I think I had an easier time of it .

I've never been a theist, so it's hard to know. I lived a life confident in that this is the only existence I will ever get. As a child, I feared the finality of that end, but as an adult, I cherish the idea. I wish life were a bit longer for sure, but I have no desire to exist in any form for an infinite amount of time. I'm usually a happy, and carefree person. I have the full range of emotions that ever typical person has, and I'm better today than I was at any other point in my life. I can only ask myself, would I be happier believing in the delusion of a God and an afterlife? If I was, all I can say is it would be a false happiness, one without meaning and I do not doubt that it would be a less accomplished life, with eternity ahead of me, what's the rush?

Loved it

It is possible. As an ex-theist I know others who are constantly worried about their status with their imaginary friend. I've known people well enough to where they tell me about it. They would confess what they thought their failings were. To me it's like having a fear that Porky Pig might tell the Easter Bunny what you really did with that candy. Then you have this constant fear of making Thor angry. Remember what happened to Sodom and Gomarrah, etc. God can do anything he wants to at any time. Then they get angry with me when I point out that gods do absolutely nothing at all.

Just the fact that I am able to be here brings me happiness. I have only one life, I try to enjoy each and every day I am here. I have nothing to die for, but everything to live for. I think everything is more beautiful because I am only here once to enjoy the moment.

I'm a happy person most of the time. I don't think it's Because I'm an atheist. I make an effort to be happy and keep my thoughts positive. Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds. I meditate to set my mood I don't wait for my mood to come tell me how I will feel today.

I would think they might be as you don't have to struggle with existential questions but apparently that isn't enough to make a difference. Security is key.
[psychologytoday.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.