Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Both Sides NOT Equally to Blame for Shutdown

"In the case of the current government shutdown, however, there’s an inescapable detail: Democrats aren’t asking for anything. Consider the competing postures:

"Congressional Democrats: We just want to re-open the government. We don’t have any extraneous policy demands and we’re asking for no concessions.

"The Trump White House and congressional Republicans: We’ll consider re-opening the government if Democrats approve billions of dollars in spending for an unpopular border wall.

"To portray this with 'both sides share the blame' commentary isn’t just misleading, it’s also an enormous favor to the party that deserves responsibility.

"Indeed, to a very extent, it actually encourages the president to try to govern through hostage strategies because it signals to the White House that if Trump relies on extortion, the political mainstream will suggest Democrats give him something for his troubles. If not, they’ll be presented to the public as recalcitrant and unreasonable.

"The push for some kind of 'compromise' between the parties is misguided, in much the same way it’d be a mistake to call for a hostage-taker and law enforcement to strive for a middle ground."

g

genessa 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It took a mother with practice dealing with a two year old to get the right procedure for dealing with the toddler in chief. No means no.

I like your anology!

i wish i could take credit for it, but my post is all enquoted and comes from the article. i've made similar analogies myself, mostly to a schoolyard bully trying to get you to agree to give him your lunch money every day and in exchange he'll lend you back the lunch money he already stole AND take his foot off your neck for 10 minutes.

g

I am not sure how this will end. But it does not look good. Democrats are rightfully so just trying to get the government open, republicans on the other hand are blackmailing the democrats into approving a wall.

I understand this fully. It's appalling that the GOP is trying to switch this issue to a "both sides equally to blame" situation. Trump supporters have this view. My view is that the great negotiator who knows the "Art of the Deal" simply made a claim for money and to get his way he held America hostage. I can see it no other way.

Meanwhile, many on You Tube that want to make money have videos saying that Trump is a genius. The shut down is his way of "draining the swamp." They get into this in great detail saying that the shutdown will simply eliminate jobs we do not need. I find it hard to believe we do not need the TSA or the FBI. Trump might find it hard to believe we don't need the Secret Service. So much for the idiocy in American politics today.

Stop playing games and stop acting like a baby. Open the government and then negotiate in a normal way. The big problem is there is no "normal" any longer.

trump needs the fbi to go byebye because if that doesn't happen, they will make HIM go byebye. this is not a matter of his thinking we don't need it. it's a matter of his not caring whether WE need it; he needs it gone. we need him gone.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:273337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.