Agnostic.com

12 2

Could folks please share some of their cooking hacks?

Also, I'm particularly interested in how you cook bacon. I usually use the stovetop, but it's so messy. I recently tried baking it, but the fat in the bacon was mushy.

orange_girl 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bit of a soup hack, but I like making everything I can from scratch (when I have a kitchen to work with, mind):

When making chicken florentine soup, the recipe calls for the making of chicken soup with veggies, for the broth. Keep the meat, toss the veggies... to which I say Bah!

So, I double the batch: two whole chickens, veggies cut nice for soup, and double the liquids. I cook the soup until it's done, part out both chickens, seperately mind! Set half the soup, sans veggies, aside with the meat of one of the chickens for the Florentine soup later (freezing in this case is ok).

The half with the veggies I finish as a chicken soup. I know, it's not much of a hack, per se, but I hate the idea of tossing out a good batch of veggies just to steal away the broth.

Cutting onions, believe it or not, holding a slice of bread in your mouth (dangling out) works. My eyes rarely water when cutting onions so I've not tried this, my wife had horrid problems when cutting onions. We heard about this from Alton Brown and she tried it, and said it worked wonders.

Garlic, don't peel it until AFTER you crush it. Then it's easy. 🙂

I know I have a ton more but won't really be able to pull them out until I am cooking and just doing them...

Bacon- take 6 paper plates. Layer several layers of paper towels on three of the plates. Roll your bacon loosely and set it standing up on the paper towel. I like to roll each end (again, loosely) towards the center. Put a few more layers of paper towel on top of the bacon and then the other three paper plates. Stick it all in the microwave for roughly 4 minutes. Take it out and carefully flip the whole thing over (be careful of grease not absorbed but the paper towels) pop it back in for another few minutes. After the ding (or beep) pull the it all out, and tahdah! Crispy bacon, almost no mess.

Don’t mix all you ingredients together and just cook them all the same way. They all have unique ways they cook best. Remember olive oil has a low burn temperature so you’ll never get a nice golden brown with it. Get your oil (avocado oil is excellent) nice and hot and then put your vegetables or meat in. Don’t drain the hamburger fat and don’t overlook your meat. Don’t be afraid to experiment. Get a rice cooker and use short grain brown rice. Get a crock pot and put chicken thighs (boneless) in there and some salt on Löw for 8 hours. Shred it and use it on pasta and spinach leaves for the whole week. Bake your asparagus with a little organic vegan margarine (not butter because it has too low a burn rate) dpread on the bottom of a cookie sheet and salt for 10 minutes on 375. Panfry (see tips above) fresh salmon on the stovetop but only cook a third of the way through on each side. Add a little salt and lemon pepper to the raw salmon first as a dry rub.

Lilie Level 6 Feb 21, 2018

The best way I've ever cooked bacon is over a camp fire. Certainly not practical for every day, but amazingly tasty!

Zster Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

Single dad hack.
Wrap it in paper towel and nuke it hard in the microwave.

@orange_girl lots of paper towel, soaks up the moisture and fat, it can go crunchy after a while. I am bad, a flat bread with alfalfa sprouts, crunchy bacon and tomato sauce/ketchup?

I cook mine in the over by lining the sheet pan in either parchment or foil. Then I place the pan in an over and then turn it on to 375-400. Bake for around 20 minutes, take it out and enjoy. Never have a problem with uncooked ends.

Baking! After years of grease, I took a Temp job at the cafeteria where I worked. I baked upwords of 40lbs a day of bacon. No more stovetop for me!

Bake the bacon. If the fat was mushy, you didn't bake it long enough. Cooking time will vary depending on thickness of the cut and fat content. If there is a lot of grease, pour some off and pop the pans back in the oven and rotate your pans.

I bake mine on a cooling-style rack of fairly heavy steel wire sitting in a baking sheet. About 375° for about 20 minutes, varying according to personal taste and thickness of bacon. The excess grease drains away and the fat gets crispy as the meat gets cooked, and if you like to cook with bacon fat you can easily recover it by pouring it out of a corner of the sheet pan, assuming it's clean or lined with foil.

What she said. It rocks.

I do exactly the same!!

I always cook my bacon in the oven. I line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, use a wire cooling rack, and lay out the bacon. I always cut the package in half, makes the pieces easier to work with. Preheat to 350 degrees. Put the bacon in and bake it until it's texture you want it.
Be sure to use tongs to turn the slices over about 10-15 minutes in. Turn the cookie sheet
about halfway through, about 10 minutes in. You have to keep an eye on it, but it's much less messy than the stovetop method. Additional hint: keep it cold until you're ready to start laying it out. Makes it easier to handle than when it's room temperature.

I’ve found baking it is the best way. I do 350-375 and it hopefully take it out in time.....I’m kind not very good at watching the time so I just continually peak in on it. But if it was mushy you just needed more time.

Microwave between paper towels - mmn crispy bacon. I used two paper towels for bottom and top.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27339
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.