Agnostic.com

11 3

Education and learning

What's the best teaching method? Either Plato or Socrates taught by way of asking questions mostly... Other educators use lectures....

Also related....
How do you learn best?
By hearing, seeing, touching reading, doing.... Etc...

Cutiebeauty 9 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm mainly tactile and visual. I learn best by doing, and by observing others doing. And If someone talks or writes, I have to feel what they say; if it's purely intellectual or analytical, it misses the mark with me.

I agree with this post for sure

I could teach you all about anatomy and physiology hands on if you’d like to learn.

Socratic method and hands on for me.

All the above

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 26, 2019

the best teaching method is the one the teacher perceives is working. there is no one best way. it also depends on what's being taught. you can't teach someone how to type or sew with a lecture. there is no hands-on way to teach philosophy (unless you really want to kill a cat in a box). my method was generally to require the students to ask questions. i have been a guest lecturer too, though.

i learn various things best different ways, no one way.

g

In my case--as is fairly common, I'm told--learning by doing, usually several times, seems to engage me enough for an optimal learning experience.

As an educator, I find that a combination of lecture, questions, and hands-on activities works best.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 26, 2019

Teach yourself.

William Faulkner made it only through sixth grade, yet became perhaps America’s greatest novelist. Just think of the greatness he might have achieved had he not been subjected to six years of swaggering, bullying school teachers.

Thomas Edison never darkened the door of a school. You can bet that if he had his creativity and enthusiasm would have been killed.

Depends largely on the subject, class size, any special needs students, and teaching objectives. When I teach a class of 30 students, a lecture may be the best method. But with 30 individuals for one-to-one tutoring, a combination of direct teaching and Socratic method might work better. If the student is struggling, I'll hand walk her. If she seems to have a good understanding, I'll encourage independent study, in which case, her ambition drives my teaching method.

Buxx Level 7 Jan 26, 2019

Experiencing is the best way. I see it time and time again and every time it happens to me I understand. For instance you can't understand discrimination unless you've been through it. Those Scared Straight programs taking youngsters to see prisons actually works. And those classes where you have to ride in a wheelchair for a week or carry around the baby doll for a month keeps little girls from getting pregnant and allows people to understand what handicapped people go through. Until you've visited areas where people live in huts on dirt floors you can't appreciate other cultures.

lerlo Level 8 Jan 26, 2019

Good points... I volunteer at daycare so I can learn how to care for baby due in June...

@Cutiebeauty good for you, good idea and congrats!
p.s. the Socratic method worked for me in Law School but you have to know how to ask questions

@lerlo thanks... ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:274109
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.