Agnostic.com

33 4

If you're poor, would you date?

NisargUS 4 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NisargUS, maybe you can start dating a poor girl to be on the safe side!... Now seriously, when you're young it doesn't matter, but when we grow older women generally find a man attractive for a bunch of reasons, like manners, good education and sense of humor ( to enjoy living with you), but then also being loving, good working man and having a certain amount of success ( to help provide for raising children). If you are in your 30's , 40's or more and you just have a bike and can only afford MacDonalds not only women but mostly everybody including your family will think there's something wrong with you. I think...

According to Maslow's needs one would not care or be able to form intimate bonds. It's like if someone's choking they won't care about being hungry. So yes priorities must come first

Jaed Level 5 Jan 26, 2019

Not sure I follow the logic. What does Maslow's hierarchy have to do with being poor and dating? According to his model, as long as you have your basic physical needs met (which nearly every poor person in the U.S. does), and you are essentially safe from danger, people will naturally begin looking for love and acceptance.

@Piratefish I'm not saying you can't. I talked to a guy once without a car so most of the time he was short on cash , going out to movies wasn't really an option.

@Jaed

Gotcha. Stymied at the third level of the hierarchy.

That is such an odd question. I don't know how to respond to that. I hope you know what to do.

It depends on your area and the expectations of women in your area. If y'all have a good public transportation system and the women do not expect to be picked up and dropped off it can work. That's how I dated when a poor student nobody picked up nobody and we met at halfway points along the subway or bus line. However, if you live in rural America or in an area with underdeveloped or shitty transit systems, then you may be shit out of luck with your dating prospects unless she is willing to drive to you/your area.

I would but I’d be careful. A date can be simple like meeting for coffee, or an ice cream cone, or at a park. From what I gather most encounters don’t make it past the 1st or 2nd dates so the issue more or less takes care of itself without you going under financially. If you do find someone you’d like to spend more time with, I’d just be honest about the situation, tell her what you’re working on to improve things and allow her to make the choice for herself. If she choose to leave, hey, that’s fine, you both had nice times you wouldn’t have had. No hard feelings. If she’s fine with your financial current situation , well, that aint to shabby.

Also, there an XKCD for EVERY situation. =]

[xkcd]

Acree Level 4 Jan 27, 2019

Of course I do.

Depends. If I couldn't afford to eat, pay rent, etc then I wouldn't date because I'd be occupied with survival. But if you can cover your expenses and have excess income for courting then knock it out.

I'd say that it depends on the person you date. If they don't care about , then yeah, date.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:274277
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.